All Topics / Value Adding / 2 toilets or 1?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of tommytuckertommytucker
    Participant
    @tommytucker

Hi all

I'm going to renovate my small bathroom which presently has a stand in bath/shower, vanity with mirror and a toilet squeezed next to the bath. There is a second toilet next to the bathroom.

My thoughts are to either keep both toilets and put in a fully contained shower/bath unit or remove the toilet in the bathroom and put in one of those corner spa bath/shower units which seems more roomy. I could possibly put a wash basin and mirror in the second toilet to make it a powder room although I'm not 100% about this at his point.

What does everyone think about 1 vs 2 toilets in this situation. I know 2 toilets is a big selling point, but so is a roomy bathroom.

Thanks,

Tom.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

It all depends on how big the house is.

Is a second toilet really a selling point for a 1 bedroom unit? I highly doubt it.

But it you only have the one bathroom with a single toilet and it's a 5 bedroom house then it may make sense to keen the separate toilet.

It is all about making the most of the space you have. If people won't need a second toilet I doubt it will add value, but a cramped crappy bathroom that doesn't work might take away value.

If the bathroom is roomy enough as is with the toilet already in it would there be value in converting the current toilet room into something more practical.

For example, would it work well as storage or a laundry?

If you are in a unit and there is only an external laundry then adding an internal one can definitely add value.

So my question to you is.

Please give us more details! House or unit? Size of the house, location, demographic of who lives in the area etc

The more info we have the more we can help

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Hari YellinaHari Yellina
    Participant
    @yellina

Dear Tommytucker, 

I have few properties with 1 toilet and few properties with 2 toilets. 

All of them are more then 2 bedroom, Having two toilets will fetch little bit more money than one toilet. 

1) If the couple is working, they need to get ready at a same time and have shower. 2 toilets makes life easier. 

2) Guest can use one toilet other can be used by lady of the house. Lady of the house, needs a clean toilet every time. 

3) If it is more than 2 bedrooms, 2 people can share the rent of the house and have their own separate toilet. 

2 toilets are becoming a necessity. Same as like 2 mobile phones. 2 Computers, 2 cars. 

On other side, yes people can hare all the above things, it not going to be easier if we have to share. 

Thank you

Hari Yellina

Property investor

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Keep Investing - Grow while Resting.

Profile photo of tommytuckertommytucker
    Participant
    @tommytucker

Hi

It's a 3×1 plus the toilet. 500sqm block with probably 110sqm house in a working class family suburb.

i spoke to a friend of mine today who suggested bricking the second toilet shut , opening the wall between the two rooms and turning the second toilet into a shower recess. If we do it this was it'll be one of those corner units I mentioned earlier as it will definitely require a bath.  We can then extend the vanity and sink along the wall where the current shower is.

I'll post some photos of the whole place once I get some time and figure out how to put them on here.

regards,

Tom.

Participant
    @yellina

Dear Tom, 

You are not going to have second toilet now. 

Thank you

Hari Yellina

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Is your friend a renovator? Does he know your target audience and what they demand (for sale and/or rental)? If not why are you listening?

Well I wouldn't do that because then you have no separate toilet. Plus those corner spa baths went out of fashion 20-30 years ago.

I'd go a normal bath and separate shower. Leave the toilet alone.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

It really would be an easy solution to simply leave the toilet as is.

Then remove the extra toilet from the bathroom and put in a shower in it's place so you have a free standing shower and free standing bathroom.

Then you have the benefit that at least the toilet is separate from the bathroom. Meaning a woman can do her make up while her man does his business without them disturbing each other.

I do think a second toilet in the bathroom right next to the other toilet could be a bit of overkill. But then in my house I have an ensuite bathroom with toilet and a stand alone toilet up stairs next to the main bathroom and I like having 2 toilets.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @yellina

Dear tommy tucker,

2 toilets is way to go. People are taking more time in 21st century to get ready. So, it is better to have 2 toilets. If it is investment. By experience. You fetch more rent and easily rentable,

thank you

Hari Yellina

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Profile photo of tommytuckertommytucker
    Participant
    @tommytucker

I believe I have found the solution to this quandary. The second toilet backs onto one of the smaller bedrooms and it is only a gyprock wall. I’m pretty sure we’ll keep the main bathroom and create a room with an en suite: toilet, shower and small vanity.

Profile photo of carllarzcarllarz
    Participant
    @carllarz

2 Toilets for sure.

Especially for that size house.

In my opinion, its a no brainer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.