All Topics / Creative Investing / With Holden closing and BP cutting workers by 300

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of GizzyGizzy
    Participant
    @gizzy

Hi

With Holden closing in Melbourne  and BP cutting workers by 300 in Geelong ,  How does this effect investing in property ?

Cheers

Gizzy

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi, great topic to start with.

If any one says that the current job losses won't have a impact, then they must be experiencing a bit of  Pychosis.

There are plenty of companies closing or reducing head count.

How will this effect any investment veichale : capital growth will be limited in most states

but I think there is going to be allot of good opportunities:

1) interest rates will remain the same or reduce even further

2) more opportunities to negotiate

3) also bring allot of people back down to earth 

4) innovation: I really hope with these tough times that we all reinvent our selves, Aussie Bussiness are struggling but we have major oppurtunites to change 

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

You've already got an observation as to how such a market change affects the area.

Look at the closures that took place in quick succession at Dandenong in the late 80s.

First the Watties factory .. then the Holden factory and finally the South Dandenong Cattleyards.

The area was rendered nearly empty for a period of eight years. At which time prices in the area DID NOT MOVE from their original 1986 prices.

It meant for a brief period … you could purchase houses at 60k and units at 40k (realistic unit market was just over 180k in a decent burb at the time- think 400k+ now)

in other words .. it stagnated .. and very badly until capacity for new tenancies in the area was reached.

Until then it was used by Govt agencies as cheap housing for migrants .. and low cost housing for 'undesirables' .. hence the recent reputation for the area.

Geelong isnt Dandenong .. but with a large emptying of its local workforce and surrounding dependancies .. you can expect both commercial and residential tenancies to be on a slide until the capacity is picked up by newer businesses in the area.

That can be quite a while unless the council and state governments do something appropriate.

In other words .. it will be quite a while.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

What will happen is that prices in inner city areas will remain strong perhaps not grow at the rate of the last few months but remain strong.

However areas like Geelong and many outer areas of major capital cities will either stay the same or weaken. There are always opportunities to make money in any market. I am dealing in projects in Brisbane which I still think is under valued. I am also dealing in the commercial markets in the United States which continues to strengthen.  

I also agree with Johathan we must adapt. They build cars in America because wages are low many factories are being automated and importantly the population is 315 million. Our population is 23 million. In communist countries they would own industries that produced  products that no one wanted but it kept people in jobs.

Perhaps if we are going to offer grants it should be to small business and farmers are they employ most of the people and take most of the risk

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Gizzy,

Like any other place, businesses come and go, or adapt to a changing market-place.

There are more than 88,000 jobs in Geelong, spanning multiple industry sectors.  300 jobs is a drop in the ocean.  Simultaneously, other companies are moving into Geelong, creating more jobs.  One such example is the clothing giant "Cotton On" who recently moved their head office to Geelong; bringing 500 jobs to the area.  The net effect is an increase is the total number of jobs in the area.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

Some really great feedback presented. Nice one guys.

We all hear the News which is often, 'the sky is falling'. 

Australia must adapt, and adapt quickly.

Im involved with a few businesses across the Asian Cities. Those guys are all looking at Australia as the Rich and prosperous Land.

Compared to what I've seen across Asia, a lot of our businesses and industries are ahead of the game in Marketing and HR. I feel the businesses which can Adapt to the ever changing market quickly, will lead the markets in the near future.  Same for Investors, I guess that's why where all reading this. Rather be leading or riding the trend then fearing it.

Incase you guys missed it, Bowen QLD, Abbot Point project has gained momentum.

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    JacM wrote:
    Cotton On" who recently moved their head office to Geelong; bringing 500 jobs to the area.  The net effect is an increase is the total number of jobs in the area

They’ve always been there. This is a major warehouse and distribution upgrade. The majority are low paid jobs that will see numbers decrease over the years as more sophisticated automation is embedded. Think Amazon. On the retails side these are mainly low paid front desk sales jobs. Vic faces what every region faces and that is a race to the bottom in low cost consumer goods facilitated by low paid employment that is replacing lost middle class manufacturing jobs.

With one of the highest population growth rates in the 1st world the next few decades will see significant pressure on both job and wage growth.

Current RE price growth is being driven by massive capital outflows from China into RE globally. Melbourne is being referred to as the next Chinese city with corresponding empty tower blocks.

The Chinese will eventually blow up RE markets around the world. Printing $203B monthly has to go somewhere. It will not end well.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Cotton On head office shifted to Geelong recently, so it's not just warehousing and distribution any more.  As luck would have it Uncle Freckle, I only just threw out the newspaper that had an article on this very topic.  I could have emailed it to you as a Christmas present!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Blocked
    @freckle

Cotton On has always been there. The head office expansion has been in the pipes since 09. Expanding their HQ's was constrained by planning reg's so they applied to have the reg's relaxed in order to facilitate an in situ expansion capable of meeting their needs out to 500 personnel.

The reality is they never moved there because they were already there and a large chunk of the 500 jobs already existed. in fact their projections show that they expected to reach 500 personnel by the end of 2012 some 12 months ago so I suspect that nothing has actually changed and the media release is govt PR to placate the masses given the Holden losses. The article you read is an MSM propaganda campaign constructed by the state govt for political purposes

Source: http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/word_doc/0009/79434/Greater-Geelong-C257.doc

BACKGROUND

5. The amendment has been requested by Cotton On in order to expand the company’s head office at 14 Shepherd Court, North Geelong, which is restricted under the site’s current zoning controls. 

6. On 18 September 2009, the City of Greater Geelong (Council) wrote to the Department of Planning and Community Development (DPCD) advising that Council officers had been in ongoing discussions with Cotton On and that those officers agreed that the best way to accommodate Cotton On’s future growth at the site was via a site specific planning scheme amendment.  Council officers also advised that they supported the processing of the planning scheme amendment via section 20(4) of the Act.

7. On 1 July 2011, Council wrote to DPCD confirming that they remain extremely supportive of Cotton On's request for a planning scheme amendment via section 20(4) of the Act.    

8. At present, Cotton On is restricted to only 500 square metres of office floor area due to the zoning controls that cover the subject land, namely the Business 4 Zone and the Industrial 1 Zone.  This office floor area restriction is having a major impact on the growth opportunities of Cotton On head office.  The Cotton On distribution centre has recently moved to a site in Lara, and the site at 14 Shepherd Court now has the floor space capacity to accommodate the forecast growth of the Cotton On head office, which based on their current growth and strategic plan, is expected to increase to over 500 employees at this office by the end of 2012.

Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi jacm 

cotton have been there for years, they are on of my clients…

Also majority of there staff, don't live in Geelong.

With Holden closing down, other companies will follow, especially  companies who may do work with Holden.

To say the least job losses vs job creation are know where near aligned, job losses are still overtaking job creation 

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    Jpcashflow wrote:

To say the least job losses vs job creation are know where near aligned, job losses are still overtaking job creation 

Not only are we losing the quantity of jobs created but quality is also on the decline. Income growth per se is largely driven at the top end not in the middle and lower class jobs.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Freckle – hope you got your Google on, taking on the Geelong Gal.

Cotton On owns themselves, Cotton On Body, Cotton On Kids and Typo, Factorie and now Supre.

Typo especially I think is one to watch for market growth as it offers a unique product.

Personally as a Holden girl I’m sad, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world for either the workers or GM. Our market is a drop in the ocean compared to USA and the Arabic Nations (the car I drive was released there with bigger engine and better spec), why produce a more expensive product… Unfortunately this is the way the world works.

Oh, and don’t pick me Freckle, It’s been a long couple months.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    DWolfe wrote:
    Oh, and don't pick me Freckle, It's been a long couple months. D

nearly Xmas….have a good one ;-)

Profile photo of jenni_nextplace.com.aujenni_nextplace.com.au
    @jenni_nextplace.com.au

Very sad. I just purchased a holden cruze, australian made. Was one of the main reasons I purchased it. 

I wonder what will now happen to bathurst. Holden vs Ford now neither are being produced in Australia. 

Blocked
    @freckle

Simple… they'll be imported…. like everything else I'm afraid.

Manufacturing is a race to the bottom as the consumer is impoverished and so it goes in a circle.  In 1982 a F&P washing machine was NZ$950 and the average income was around $10-12k/yr. Now they're $450 and the average income is around $60k.

Work that deflationary pricing out.

Participant
    @jpcashflow

Why woud I buy a Holden?

just bought a c200 0% finance and guaranteed trade in value 

Forward thinking companies!!

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Hari YellinaHari Yellina
    Participant
    @yellina

Dear Gizzy, 

My name is Hari Yellina. Total loss for Geelong Job market will come around 1000. But remember, there is always new companies are opening up. 

In few years, Geelong will become warehouse hub for Manufacturing goods. It has become very expensive to warehouse your goods 30 KM from Melbourne. Most of this ware houses will be shifting Geelong soon. 

Geelong is not a mining town where 80% of the jobs are in one industry. Holden and Ford total .5% of total Geelong employment. As we speak there are few companies expanding in Geelong, because of its close proximity to Melbourne. 

If you already have an investment property, you dont need to worry. 

Thank you

Hari Yellina 

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Keep Investing - Grow while Resting.

Profile photo of GizzyGizzy
    Participant
    @gizzy

Thank you everyone , very interesting opinions , after reading them all I am starting to think Geelong shall be just fine.  By the sounds of it other companies shall move in and it even out the job losses ..

Cheers

Gizzy

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.