All Topics / Help Needed! / Water rates

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Paterson00Paterson00
    @paterson00

I am creating my spreadsheet to do rough calculations based on facts and figures as I find them.  Do you guys charge your tenant for water?  I have lived in two rentals now and paid water in both of those.  Is that all that the tenant would be expected to pay?  In the UK its not uncommon for the tenant to pay the council rates too.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

It depends on which state. Rules vary according to state.

Even in NSW where it is legal if water efficiency taps are fitted some landlords don't bother.

The tenant in that case is only liable for the usage, not the service, so you still need to pay it then charge the tenant for water usage.

Profile photo of babyflynn81babyflynn81
    Participant
    @babyflynn81

Double check this one as I just purchased a villa in a strata block of 3 and I have just been advised that because hey are not seperately metered, that I can't pass on the usage costs. Last bill was over $200.  

Thinking of looking into whether this is a strata issue?

Profile photo of Paterson00Paterson00
    @paterson00

Thanks to you both.  I am in Mandurah WA.  Do you know how I find out the rates?  I would like to be able to find out the accurate council rates too.  At the moment I am taking my figures from a 3 bed that I have seen advertised and just entered the calculation to accommodate a 4 bed, 5 bed etc and added a cell in my spreadsheet of how many bedrooms. There must be a better way to calculate these figures for my due diligence.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Just look on RE.com and ring about a house similar to what you would like to buy. Ask what the rates are. Most agents would know this. Some list it on RE.com.

Yes babyflynn if they are not individually metered you can't charge (forgot to mention that). Thanks.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

This is not the UK this is OZ, our tenancy laws are different.

All the information you require is on the consumer affairs/fair trading website, if unsure, use a property manager until you understand the tenancy laws. BTW, there is a new tenancy act in WA.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.