All Topics / Value Adding / Painting plastic bathtub

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Hi all,

Any of the experienced renovators out there had much luck painting a plastic bathtub?

I have a sexy purple bath tub in an IP that has previously been painted white. Obviously not well as the paint is flaking off.

I know it will have to be replaced eventually but just wondering if anyone has painted one before (successfully) and how they went about it.

I have looked online and couldn't really find much info.

Cheers,

Nathan

Profile photo of Heinz57Heinz57
    Participant
    @heinz57

In Brisbane there is a company called 'Marks in your bath' see what they do, maybe you can replicate or copy?

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

The problem with plastics and paint is that plastics have oil compounds in the plastic. You can get paint to stick to plastics fairly well but the bond will eventually fail. Given that the surface has to contend with rapid and uneven changes in temperature as well as mechanical stress and cleaning with abrasives the outcome becomes fairly obvious. Oil compounds can be forced out through expansion (higher temps) that eventually degrade the bond.

Personally I'd either replace it with another bath or simply remodel the bath room and get rid of a bath altogether.

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Sounds like a replacement is the only way really. For the time being may just get rid of all the old white paint so it just looks like a normal purple tub instead of a purple tub with flaking white paint! I agree freckle personally I would love to get rid of the tub and just have a shower. Would open the bathroom right up but I don't want to loose that market of Parents with young children.

Profile photo of i-smsfi-smsf
    @i-smsf

Yes, defiantly replace it… we tried twice with special primer and paint with a high heat/water resistance… no joy. Save yourself the stress and time :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.