All Topics / Help Needed! / Brisbane Housing Market

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of dangermouse99dangermouse99
    Participant
    @dangermouse99

Hello All

Im about to start some research and due diligence on the Brisbane Housing Market as I believe its undervalued currently compared to other Capital Cities, I have a few IPs in Vic and NSW and a Qld mining house, so id like to enter the Brisbane market. Im keen to setup a SMSF and purchase a IP in inner-Brisbane as close to positive/neutral cash flow as possible (hard I know) and obviously not in a flood prone area, so im keen to hear from all you IP experts in here about the general market and where I should consider and target in Brisbane before I really get into my due diligence etc. as im a fairly novice to this market, hence why I need to do a lot of DD.  I thought here is a good avenue for research and opinion

Cheers & Thanks in Advance

DM

Profile photo of i-smsfi-smsf
    @i-smsf

I read a post earlier on here about the coming Commonwealth games on the Gold Coast in 2018… ? possibly consider the GC? I think the majority of work is being done in Southport.

But I think as close to the city you can get in Brissy will be a safe bet rent and tenant-wise. 

Buying with your SMSF, assuming on 80%+ LVR you would be neutral/positive position in most cases and areas, hence why lenders put this requirement in place for LRBA.

consider:

Carindale is one of Brisbane's most searched suburbs on realestate.com.au, with a median house value of $650k However, a few kilometres away is Tingalpa, where house values are 30 per cent cheaper.

or

Ashgrove is the second most popular, with median house values at $740,000. However, a short drive away is Enoggera, where the median house value is $510,000, a 30 per cent saving.

Realestate dot com have a few good tools to see the most searched suburbs and most volume of properties for sale, then Google Map surrounding suburbs  and buy for a 30% + saving :)

Good luck!

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

For the best results, I suggest, stay north of the CBD.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

Anything inside 10km is moving well, anything inside 5km even better.  Price and target market for your tenants will be a deciding factor.

RPI | Certus Legal Group / PRO Town Planners
    http://www.certuslegal.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Lawyer & Town Planner

Profile photo of Paterson00Paterson00
    @paterson00
    i-smsf wrote:
    I read a post earlier on here about the coming Commonwealth games on the Gold Coast in 2018… ? possibly consider the GC? I think the majority of work is being done in Southport.

Would it be a wise choice to simply invest where all of the big events were being held.  The London Olympics saw a huge increase in the area's development and presumably this would happen the world over continueosly…  I know we have things like being able to buy in particular countries not being allowed because of visa's etc but is there any other reason this tact would not work?

Profile photo of westnbluewestnblue
    Participant
    @westnblue

If your not from brisbane, south side has the entry level properties, I recently bought 4 x 1 bedunits with 48m2 floor area for $110k each in Park ridge which is near greenbank and only 4km from sunnybank which are both expensive areas. During the next upturn these units will be worth around $200k each

Stay away from logan unless you find a good deal. Theres also good side of the highway and bad side of the highway areas on the south side, aka acacia ridge and sunnybank.

Most places north side are a sure thing

Im investing heavily in Gold coast at the moment, the market is highly depressed – but wont be like that for long. After they finish the light rail the values will start to pickup mid next year, then automatically follow brisbanes upturn. So 2bed units selling for $170k now will likely to go up by 20% once the light rail is completed, and the games will speculate prices even more

Profile photo of i-smsfi-smsf
    @i-smsf
    westnblue wrote:

Im investing heavily in Gold coast at the moment, the market is highly depressed – but wont be like that for long. After they finish the light rail the values will start to pickup mid next year, then automatically follow brisbanes upturn. So 2bed units selling for $170k now will likely to go up by 20% once the light rail is completed, and the games will speculate prices even more

Westnblue, 

Are you investing in Southport? around the light rail? houses or just units? we own an IP in Southport close to light rail, and thinking of buying again soon. What areas are you considering? Have you looked at Molendinar near new hospital and uni?

Participant
    @westnblue

Yes just picked a 2bed unit up in Southport for $160k rent at $250 p/w tenants been there for 7 years. Close to beach.

Im pretty much buying anything with 2bed Under $180k. Im hoping to get 3 more by may next year. Gold coast is in a very good position for capital growth in the next 24 months – and thats automatic equity.

Profile photo of RamkiSydneyRamkiSydney
    Participant
    @ramkisydney

Hi Guys,

I am new to Brisbane property market and visiting the city this weekend to visit some properties in Alderley, Coopers Plains & Chermside. It would be great if you guys can give some information about these suburbs.

Participant
    @westnblue
    RamkiSydney wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I am new to Brisbane property market and visiting the city this weekend to visit some properties in Alderley, Coopers Plains & Chermside. It would be great if you guys can give some information about these suburbs.

Alderley is considered a good suburb however the local shops there are disintegrating, slowly store owners are closing up – almost half of them.

Chermside is the best of the three you have chermside shopping center close by and a main rd straight to the city including clem7.

Coopers plains is industrial area, very run down.

Profile photo of RamkiSydneyRamkiSydney
    Participant
    @ramkisydney

Thanks westnblue, the property I am looking at in Alderley is about 800 sqm land with two road facing in about high 500's. Do you think its an okay deal?

Participant
    @westnblue
    RamkiSydney wrote:
    Thanks westnblue, the property I am looking at in Alderley is about 800 sqm land with two road facing in about high 500's. Do you think its an okay deal?

Thats normal price aka retail for alderley, the suburb is very diverse. Only way i would personally buy that is if it has subdivision potential as its a blue chip area.

* try and stay away from that evil shopping center, all the back streets are very good (attached location of shopping area) when you see it youll understand

Profile photo of Wilson212Wilson212
    @wilson212

Do your planning, finance, property selection thoroughly and put importance on quality not quantity and be sure to go to reliable properties websites when you do your research, such as:

1. http://www.realestateview.com.au/

2. http://properties.mitula.com.au/brisbane

3. http://www.realestate.com.au/buy

Good luck!

Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.