All Topics / General Property / depreciation question

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of coolharry67coolharry67
    Participant
    @coolharry67

hi Could someone explain how depreciation works , i am looking for a property at about 230k in vic, it is 3 -4 years old, my accountant says if i claim depreciation then i will be in the next tax bracket and not worth doing it.? i ran  online calculator and it says i will get a fair bit of money every year,

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Hopefully your accountant meant that if you claim the "rent" from the property that you would go into the next tax bracket and not the depreciation.

Depreciation would be calculated on the quantity surveyor report.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hiya

A pretty good description is available here http://www.bmtqs.com.au/tax-depreciation-schedule

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of StumpCamStumpCam
    @stumpcam

Hi Harry, I assume your accountant meant that it pushes you down to the next bracket below if you claim depreciation. That may be the case if it pushes you down to the zero tax bracket ($18,200 pa), but even if it pushes you down to the bracket above that (20.5%) then it's still worth claiming depreciation. It all helps with your bottom line, ie net cost to hold the property after tax. It's surprising how many property investors don't claim depreciation when they can. 

I'm sure it would be worthwhile getting a QS report on your property if it's only 4 years old. It will cost you ~$500 or so, but that's tax deductible (all in one year). It makes your tax return easier; you just refer to that report each year (the report should detail several years into the future).

Cheers, S/C

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Ok, unless you misunderstood your accountant – sack your accountant and get one that knows something about property tax.

Ask how many properties an accountant has- it's a good start.

I changed accountants when I asked my previous one whether I should get depreciation reports for my properties. His answer was "up to you". When I changed accountants my new one backdated the depreciation reports, saving me thousands of dollars. When my old accountant asked why I was moving I told him. He actually had a few properties himself so surprising answer considering. I guess you don't know what you don't know. That's where these forums are fantastic. I have gained a wealth of knowledge and saved myself money and mistakes by learning from others successes and mistakes.

Thank you to everyone that takes the time to answer questions and contribute knowledge.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Not claiming depreciation throwing money away.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Terryw wrote:
    Not claiming depreciation throwing money away.

Agreed – it surprises me how many investors don't both with a depreciation schedule – or think that their property is too old to be worth it.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of coolharry67coolharry67
    Participant
    @coolharry67

hi all thanks for the replies,i will confirm withh the accountant again but i am pretty sure what he said was that iam in the 30% tax bracket and if i claim deprecitaion i will be into the 46% bracket and have to pay more tax.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Cool H i think you have misunderstood your Accountant.

Depreciation is a non cash deduction and certainly won't push you into the next Tax Bracket

Capital Allowance is the same although unlike Depreciation if you claim it now you reduce the Cost Base of the property by the same amount if and when you come to sell it

I.e Assume you claim $20K in capital allowance claims and you paid $320K for the property your CGT will be based on a Cost Base of $300K (This of course is a simplistic view and ignores Stamp duty and any other expenses you have not already claimed). 

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I beleive the legislation is worded so that the deporeciation is added back whether you claim it or not. So by not claiming it you are not preventing this and are just throwing money away – or donating to a good cause however you look at it.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

You need to consider the long term cost – depreciating your building will reduce its cost base and increase capital gains tax if you sell at a later date

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Duckster,

I believe the poster is referring to Depreciating the internal fixtures and fittings under the Div 40 legislation and not the Capital Allowance claim under Div 41.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Harry,

Depreciation is an amount by which you are permitted to reduce your taxable income. Let’s say your salary is $80k and you have a $10k depreciation deduction. You do not get the whole $10k back from the taxman. Instead, your taxable income becomes $70k. Make sense?

If your salary was annoyingly just inside a particular bracket, and you had a $10k depreciation deduction, it might conveniently put your into the next taxable income bracket below (so that the tax you do pay is at a lesser %).

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of coolharry67coolharry67
    Participant
    @coolharry67

hi Jacqui that makes sense, i am wondering why my accountant says it will put me into the higher bracket, i will try and clarify this with him

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Jade,

Quote:
    Whats the normal charges for depreciation schedule?

I haven't ordered one in a few years now, but I recall $500 being about "the norm" back then (about 7 years ago).  A quick Google held a (possibly) pleasant surprise though – Google corpred.     Or maybe someone else on here already knows of them…..  

I must admit my initial reaction was to think "Why are their reports so cheap?"   But their website provided the answer……   smiley

Benny

Profile photo of Jade12Jade12
    Participant
    @jade12

Hi, 

Whats the normal charges for depreciation schedule?

Received a quote from BMT for $770 for a house that has an estimated depreciation of 3500-4500. Sounds a bit expensive. 

Jade. 

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

That's about normal now. 700 plus gst.

if you have several houses you can lump them in all at once for a better deal. 

It pays itself back 4 fold in the first tax payment with a schedule of 3500-4000.

sounds like a excellent deal to me. 

Also you get discounts if you give them a lot of business. 2 years ago I used to get charged 660 and now I'm down to 550.inc gst 

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.