All Topics / General Property / Real Estate agent reference check

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

I have recently purchased a property in a new location for me and I (or my existing networks) don't have knowledge of the different property managers in town. After interviewing a handful managers today I've got a couple in mind. At the end of one of the interviews I was offered some 'testimonials' but I happened to mention that if i proceeded with them I'd also like to speak to a couple of their clients to get a reference of the manager that would be allocated to my property.  When I asked that the two rental managers in the room looked at me strangely and said noone's ever asked them that before.  And they also said that it would be difficult and might not comply with privacy requirements.

I’ve always done reference checks on people doing significant work for me whether they be builders, concreters or new staff I have hired within a business. I hardly see that there could be any privacy issue if a fellow landlord either agrees to call us or agrees to take our call. Am I being unreasonable?

Thoughts?

p.s.  the property is in Victoria if that makes a difference

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Effective due diligence always requires a reference check, ha, privacy requirements……let me know where you are in melbourne by PM and i can help you, your not being unreasonable.

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Personally, I think asking to speak with a PM's existing clients is over the top and there's probably some privacy issues at stake.

Besides, it's unlikely to be a true representation as they'll cherry pick a client(s) who they know will provide an excellent review.

It's easy enough to change PMs' if you feel that the on you're using isn't performing.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes i agree with Jamie.

I employ my own PM for my properties but if i used a Property Manager employed by a Real Estate Agent i don't think i would happy if they handed out my details to other landlords.

Sure there is Privacy issues to overcome.

Plenty of other ways to check out a PM.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jeff123Jeff123
    Participant
    @jeff123

I don't see a problem with you leaving your phone number for the agent to pass on to a couple of their clients.  Obviously you probably can't get their details unless they've already volunteered them but I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I've never felt the need to do that. If possible I ask other investors who they use. This forum is a good start. 

Profile photo of Paterson00Paterson00
    @paterson00

Is there anyone in Madurah WA recommended? Not just PM's either. I would like to get in touch with anyone in this area who could help me who comes with a good recommendation even though I'm not ready to buy yet.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Generally, I have found that if a client has been willing to provide  a reference, I will check with them if it is ok for a prospect to contact them to verify the service. Why would there be a privacy issue. (If you could trust an agent to provide only the best of references, all legit too.) ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.