All Topics / Help Needed! / Property Letting Services

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of NuttaOzNuttaOz
    Participant
    @brendanoz

Hello Forum,

I am currently under offer on a property that I want to put a tenant into after a few quick fix ups after settlement.

As it is my first and (currently) only investment property, I am hoping to self manage the property.

My question is, is there anywhere in SA that offers a letting service WITHOUT signing up for a property management contract? Basically find/screen/bond tenants, produce reports, then step away?

Failing this, what is the forum's opinion on the best tips for finding/choosing a tenant, if I am to do everything from scratch?

Cheers.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Gum tree for advertising rentals properties that you are going to self manage. you'll have no problem if you are in CBD Adelaide

If you wish to get your property onto real estate.com for advertising. A company in Adelaide called Latner Properties can do that for you.

Use the fixed term or periodic tenancy provided by consumer and business affairs. You can also lodge the owners deposit there.

Make sure you understand the rental contract and that it is better for you money wise to select – tenants to cover water and supply charges.

Managing one property is fine, when you have a good tenant .

Profile photo of NuttaOzNuttaOz
    Participant
    @brendanoz

Thank you for the advice. We've just looked up Latner Properties, and their plans sound very useful!

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Ask the agents.. we rented in Sydney that way. Agents marketed and did all the paper week for a letting fee and then handed over management to the owner. Worked well for us.

They may want more than the going rate for this service but ask around.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Brendan

Self managing isn't for everyone – it can be tough at times. You need to be proactive and up to speed with tenancy legislation in your state.

Having said that, if you've got good tenants it can be quite easy too.

Perhaps consider using an agency for the fist 6 to 12 months and then decide whether you'd like to have a go at self managing. By that stage, you should have a good idea of the sort of tenants you'll be looking after.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Like " location location location" , in Property Management it's "Tenant Vetting" followed by knowledge of PM best practices.

Suggest you search the Forum and read all the warnings and "how to" postings about self management.

Perhaps a good PM for your first property would be like insurance.

Good luck

cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Personally I wound not self manage although I have a few more properties to think about.

Guess I can sort of understand why you would look to do it from a cost perspective but if you intend to be a serious investor the costs are small fry.

Nothing to stop you using a PM to merely find the Tenant for you and you take over the day to day management.

Just make sure you are well versed on the relevant State legislation.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.