All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in Townsville

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MonfriesMonfries
    @monfries

Hi,

I am new to this and looking for some advice, we currently live and own in West End, Townsville, we think it is great due to Castle Town just being down the road and the $13 cab fare to the strand. However, as I read before there are some undesirables which live here, housing trust and a rehab center on Stagpole Street, which do not bother us at all. We do however live in a dead end street. Echlin Street has had some issues with breakins etc I know but the area has so much going for it.

Looking over time and history in my view, the government and local council will slowly move these people further away from the city centre. North Ward the so called rich and shameless of Townsville has no room to expand any more so West End will be the next place they will look. It has some beautiful old renovated Queenslanders going for 600k, there are definately parts I would not suggest but I think the potential is there, just how long this will take I am not certain.

Oh and most of the block sizes are 1/4 Acre blocks making it very attractive for the developer or just people who want a big back yard.

Does anyone have any views on this?

Cheers,

Simon

Profile photo of stimesfivestimesfive
    @stimesfive

My advice would be to do your research.  Check out median house prices, rental prices, vacancy rates, etc.  Your own back yard is not necessarily the best place to invest.  As a project pick another couple of suburbs and even another couple of towns with houses in the price bracket you can afford.  Compare them all thoroughly.  Have fun!

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

You say you live in West End, it's a nice area and has a history of solid growth, so just relax.

As for investing, I think the above advice is very sound.

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

Simon, are you buying or talking?

What are you after.

Could anyone recommend tradies in Townsville?

I just bought a Reno job in Rasmussen and have to start the ball rolling next week. Cheap as chips. Will put it up for reselling under V.Finance once work is done.

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Profile photo of NQ6NQ6
    Participant
    @nq6

Mate not quite sure  youre going to  be going down the road of prosperity with buying in that part of Townsville unless you can see a profit in  adding value quickly. For a safe  investment property without spending  too much  i would be looking at a renno in Ingham a bit over an hour nth of Townsville. It has been in the doldrums  for a while but is now showing signs of picking up like the rest of Nth Qld.  The new $500mil  sugar mill  is looking more  likely to proceed. Ingham being  landlocked has had no  or very little  subdivisions done for many years and is primed for a housing shortage.  The other town worth a look is Charters Towers, not because  of the 4 potential  coal mines proposed for the  area south and  west of the town but  because it is a solid town  good proximity to Townsville ,   at least 6 good schools, over 10000 population,  and  still priced where there is a dollar to be made.Don't  mix up where you want to live  with  where you want to invest.  Just my take on it.

Profile photo of NQ6NQ6
    Participant
    @nq6

Adrian  throw an add on Gumtree, i found there are litterally dozens wanting work in Townsville,  and a lot willing to travel.  Certainly a turnaround  from a few years ago when they all thought they were worth gold.

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

Cheers NQ6.   I did just that. Found a Carpenter looking for a new home. We worked fast, Im paying him with free rent, his family moving in this weekend. and were rocking it!!

My latest buy, Rasmussen 190k  extra cheap due:

problems in the neighbor hood with crime,

Termites eating the lovely cathedral roof, (possibly more)

loads of half started, poor quality jobs started around the house,

Crap work done before hand looking dodgy and cheap.

8 days have passed since settlement.

Termite Problems repaired, >$300

Tactical Pest control going in on Tuesday for long term protection $2200

Tiled Roof Repaired and Resealed $4000

All poor quality to broken lights/switches/fans/Aircons have been replaced/cleaned/serviced >$600

1/3 of the way through already.

Will post an update later for any interested parties.

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.