All Topics / General Property / Rockhampton’s vacancy rate double in few months

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of pcnpcn
    Participant
    @pcn

Hi all,

I am looking to invest in Rockhampton (Norman Gardens). The vacancy rate in this area has been around 1.3% last few years however 

now it jumps to 2.3% in September 13. 

Does anyone have any idea why it jumps so fast? This region looks like a good area to invest except the vacancy jump recently.

Thanks,

PC

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Unwinding of the resource construction boom would make sense. Median house prices (Norman Gardens) dropped with a thump last year (10%) and units are tracking south..

Keep looking I'd say.

Profile photo of ArnoldusArnoldus
    Participant
    @arnoldus

The median price in Norman Gardens was being propped up, perhaps to an abnormal level by the sale of "premium" houses/estates east of Norman Rd through 2010 – 2012.  I'm a bit bearish on Rocky at the moment, there's lots of supply coming online and heaps more in the pipeline, and the council de-amalgamation and ridiculous rates rises for IP holders on top of the mining downturn in CQ, it's hard to see much growth in rents or prices unless there's a big change in fundamentals.  

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.