All Topics / Help Needed! / Order Of Things To Do In A Renovation

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of Thread BareThread Bare
    @thread-bare

Why don't you do all of us a favour, write a item list for your renovation and give us some cost estimates? Less talk and more action, because I for one don't believe your numbers are even close to being real.

Don't kill yourself, just everything over $200.00, should only take 20 minutes max?

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel
    Thread Bare wrote:
    Why don't you do all of us a favour, write a item list for your renovation and give us some cost estimates? Less talk and more action, because I for one don't believe your numbers are even close to being real.

Don't kill yourself, just everything over $200.00, should only take 20 minutes max?

I accept your challenge and will post a break down of cost tonight. However, don’t forget I am doing the work myself so no Labor involved. I will have figures for you tonight.

Participant
    @jmsrachel

As requested, here is my break down of costs for a renovation I am about to under take in December.

The IP was purchased for just under $600K, 3 bedroom weather board house on a 696sqm block, 15km to the CBD. House was built early 1960’s.

Renovation includes:
    • Restump back section of house,
    • Entire new bathroom with second toilet and removing linen cabinet to make bathroom bigger,
    • New kitchen with vinyl wrap doors and laminate bench top,
    • Tiled floor through out
    • carpet to 3 bedrooms,
    • Built in robes to all bedrooms
    • Remove section of wall between lounge and dining area to become one

These prices are not for every one. I am a cabinet maker by trade and also a builder so don’t work off my pricing for your renovations. I have all tools / machines so don’t need to purchase or hire equipment. Not all materials are from Bunnings – the trick is to source materials at a reasonable cost, Bunnings doesn’t help here. Also you need to work smart, not hard.

• Restumping: includes changing 10 stumps. $400
    • New bathroom: includes adding toilet, shower, bathtub, etc. Not including floor tiling. $1300
    • New kitchen: including appliances $2900
    • Tile through out including bath floor (approx 60sqm). Prices include glue and cement sheeting. $1600
    • Carpet to 3 bedrooms $1000
    • Built in robes in 3 bedrooms $1400
    • Removing section of wall $500

TOTAL: $9100

I think if I had to project manage it would probably be around the $50K mark. Should hopefully increase value by a fair bit.

I renovated another IP this time last year for $6K exact. The renovation was nothing fancy but still modern. This included: new kitchen and bathroom, new paint work, tiled kitchen and laundry floor, polished floor boards, basic landscaping and cut down a large tree in the back yard.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Sounds great. We typically spend $15K (no restumping or built ins- well sometimes one and we usually polish floors- except carpet bedrooms) and full painting. But we pay a tiler to waterproof and tile and a builder a few days (my hubby's too rough).

Why Vinyl wrap doors??   We go poly, much nicer finish.  Where do you get your kitchens? Flat pack? I put together one cupboard once. Never again.

Participant
    @jmsrachel

Hi catalyst,

I’ll be making the kitchen as I have a cabinet making business. I find vinyl wrap very durable as long as they are made right. otherwise they peel. I could go plain laminate but the IP is in a good suburb so don’t want a cheap look.

Poly is nice, but chips like hell.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.