All Topics / Help Needed! / Order Of Things To Do In A Renovation

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of SirDangerMouseSirDangerMouse
    Participant
    @sirdangermouse

Hi

What is the logical order of things to do on a reno for a 50's weatherboard I settle on in 3 weeks?!

We have a 3 month timeframe to complete it all (Nov, Dec, Jan)….working from our current rental place just around the corner, to move in once we are done as our primary place of residence.

It is a small 13sqm home. 3 bedrooms, 1 living room, kitchen meals, 1 bathroom.

Jobs to be done are: removing wall paper; painting inside and out, basic replacement 'new for old' items in kitchen and bathroom; ripping carpets up to polish floorboards; replacing skirting boards and architraves; minor exterior timber weatherboards water proofing and sealing; inserting newer doors in existing doorframes; putting a paved driveway in instead of current muddy one.

We are not requiring to restump….but probably need to rewire….(granny at the moment says house often 'shorts out' when too many appliances are on).

IS there a 'best order' to get things done? Sparky, plumber, carpenter, painter…etc which ones follow the others?!

We are doing all work ourselves other than the obvious big or fine technical professional work requiring certificates and council approval.

As I said we have a 3 month window to pull it off, beginning November 1

This is my first reno….need advice :)

Thanks.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

From what you have listed you don't need council approval.

Do you mean to replace the whole kitchen and bathroom? 

If so get the bathroom stripped first. This takes the longest (not that you need to worry with 3 months). Why so long?

We generally completely renovate a 3-4 bedroom home in 5 weeks (mostly nights and weekends as we still work). That incudes new bathroom, new kitchen, new flooring (polish and carpet in bedrooms, fully paint inside.

I'd get the electrical looked at first.

First thing is strip everything out, carpet, kitchen, bathroom. We do this the first day.  Bathroom (as mentioned)  strip, resheet walls if needed) get tiler in to waterproof. This needs to sit then he comes back and does again. Then tiling, then grout so this takes a while. Then vanity etc go in.

Strip wallpaper, clean walls ready for painting.

If you are replacing the skirtings I would rip them out and undercoat and paint the new ones before fitting. Polish floors last then replace skirtings. Touch up putty and paint where nail heads are. Easier than painting the whole thing in place.

Work out what materials, appliances you need first. Especially after November as a lot of places close mid December to mid January.

Where are you located? I'm in Sydney if you need anything. I'm having reno withdrawals. LOL

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    Quote:
    Then tiling, then grout so this takes a while. Then vanity etc go in.

I always tile after cabinets and tops go in. If a wall's not quite straight or room's out of square you can usually hide this with tiling and trims afterwards. Which leads me to another tip. Run a straight edge along where bench tops will go to make sure the wall is straight. Much easier to fix than hide.

If you're going to  update switches and plugs be wary of the cheap switches. Some cause arcing at the switch and that can play Mary hell with halogen lighting.

Blocked
    @freckle
    Quote:
    We are not requiring to restump….but probably need to rewire….(granny at the moment says house often 'shorts out' when too many appliances are on).

All houses have multiple circuits, lights, wall, oven, are the common ones. A light circuit can usually carry a certain wattage usually no more than 800w total. Wall plugs you usually have no more than 5 on a circuit. Oven circuits are dedicated and are usually 30amp from memory while the rest are 10amp. The house either has circuit breakers or fuses. If it has fuses you can replace these with plug in circuit breakers. 

If the house is shutting down (main breaker) then you probably need a new board not a complete rewire. Talk to a sparky. You want to avoid rewiring if you can. You probably don't need to rewire just run an extra circuit or two and perhaps a new board with breakers at most.

Blocked
    @freckle
    Quote:
    IS there a 'best order' to get things done? Sparky, plumber, carpenter, painter…etc which ones follow the others?!

On a reno like yours you'd usually do your strip out then get your plumber and sparky in to do anything needed. Once they're finished it's your chippy, tiler, plaster etc. You would normally organise your subby's in advance and ask them what they need from you and when depending on your reno plan. Most of this stuff you'll realise along the way because it's mostly self evident.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

You would be better off roughing in plumbing and electrical in week 2 well before painting and patching.

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

Week One

Strip wallpaper

Strip skirting 

Strip architraves

Strip old doors

Strip kitchen

Strip bathroom

Strip carpets

Clear gardens and site rubbish

Rough-in new plumbing

Rough-in new electrical

Week Two

Patch walls

Patch ceilings

Prime patching

Undercoat ceilings

Undercoat walls

Start painting inside and out

First coarse sand of floors (Some floor sanders wont want to do this, find one that will)

Start bathroom plumbing and tile prep

Start kitchen plumbing and electrical (depending on how much you move things around)

Kitchen cupboards (measure & order)

Kitchen bench tops (measure & order)

Kitchen splash backs (measure & order)

Week Three

Replacing skirting boards 

Replace architraves 

Hang doors

Second coat walls

Finish coat ceilings

Week four

Prime new woodwork

Undercoat woodwork

Top coat walls

Tile bathroom

Install kitchen cupboards

Install bench tops

Week five

Finish plumb bathrooms

Finish kitchen splash backs or tile

Finish plumb kitchen

Finish electrical kitchen

Finish top coating woodwork (second to last trade)

Site Clean (so there is less dust & grit to mess up your newly polished floors)

LAST

Finish floor sand and polish (last trade)

Touch up paint work after floor sanders (marks on skirting etc)

Clean (dust only this time)

I would start on the gardening and the driveway at the start, wait until the painters have finished and then plant up the gardens. That way there is someone on site every day to water your new planting.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Participant
    @mark-coburn
    jmsrachel wrote:
    You would be better off roughing in plumbing and electrical in week 2 well before painting and patching.

You are right!  (Edited accordingly)

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean
    jmsrachel wrote:

Agreed much better to do electrical and plumbing work done before you patch up all the walls. Just incase new holes need to be made.

The easier the access for the plumbers and sparkies the easier it is to get done.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @mark-coburn

Fitted wardrobes in week four, at the same time as the kitchen cupboards and before the final paint.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of goneosgoneos
    @goneos

I really like this list.  Nice to have it all written out.  CTRL+C, CTRL+V

Profile photo of jenni_nextplace.com.aujenni_nextplace.com.au
    @jenni_nextplace.com.au

Create a detailed plan. Most people lose money before they even start a renovation or building project because they don't have a details plan.

Some estimate that costs are

Bathroom – $9000 to $24,000

Kitchen – $11000 – $32000

Laundry – $4000 – $10000

Bedroom – $4000 – 9000

Participant
    @mark-coburn
    goneos wrote:
    I really like this list.  Nice to have it all written out.

+1

Week One

Strip wallpaper

Strip skirting

Strip architraves

Strip old doors

Strip kitchen

Strip bathroom

Strip carpets

Clear gardens and site rubbish

Rough-in new plumbing

Rough-in new electrical

Week Two

Patch walls

Patch ceilings

Prime patching

Undercoat ceilings

Undercoat walls

Start painting inside and out

First coarse sand of floors (Some floor sanders wont want to do this, find one that will)

Start bathroom plumbing and tile prep

Start kitchen plumbing and electrical (depending on how much you move things around)

Kitchen cupboards (measure & order)

Kitchen bench tops (measure & order)

Kitchen splash backs (measure & order)

Week Three

Replacing skirting boards

Replace architraves

Hang doors

Second coat walls

Finish coat ceilings

Week four

Prime new woodwork

Undercoat woodwork

Top coat walls

Tile bathroom

Install kitchen cupboards

Install bench tops

Fitted wardrobes

Week five

Finish plumb bathrooms

Finish kitchen splash backs or tile

Finish plumb kitchen

Finish electrical kitchen

Finish top coating woodwork (second to last trade)

Site Clean (so there is less dust & grit to mess up your newly polished floors)

LAST

Finish floor sand and polish (last trade)

Touch up paint work after floor sanders (marks on skirting etc)

Clean (dust only this time)

I would start on the gardening and the driveway at the start, wait until the painters have finished and then plant up the gardens. That way there is someone on site every day to water your new planting.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Participant
    @jmsrachel

I am about to start renovations on an IP which is due to settle early December. My budget is $6 to 7K. Renovations include: new kitchen, new bathroom with second toilet, built in robes, tiling through out with carpet in 3 bedrooms, re stump back section of house, knock down internal wall between dining and lounge area, and minor painting.  Once it is all complete in mid January i will post some photos and costings.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    jmsrachel wrote:
    I am about to start renovations on an IP which is due to settle early December. My budget is $6 to 7K..

I wish I was handy :-(

I'd be lucky to get a new deck in my PPOR for $7k.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Blocked
    @freckle
    jmsrachel wrote:
    I am about to start renovations on an IP which is due to settle early December. My budget is $6 to 7K. Renovations include: new kitchen, new bathroom with second toilet, built in robes, tiling through out with carpet in 3 bedrooms, re stump back section of house, knock down internal wall between dining and lounge area, and minor painting.  Once it is all complete in mid January i will post some photos and costings.

What’s your budget/estimate for each component Joe?

I was over at a mates place the other week, he’s a builder, and he was redoing the bathrooms in a temporary place he’s bought between new houses. He was working on the upstairs bedroom at the time and we were discussing varying aspects of the fit out. He blew me off my feet when he said he’d charge at least $25k for this in main street.

I was looking at doing a complete reno of the old man’s bathroom (he’s 82) to make it more functional and accessible as he gets even more decrepit. I thought I’d be lucky to do it for $5k!!

Participant
    @jmsrachel
    Jamie M wrote:
    jmsrachel wrote:
    I am about to start renovations on an IP which is due to settle early December. My budget is $6 to 7K..

I wish I was handy :-(

I'd be lucky to get a new deck in my PPOR for $7k.

Cheers

Jamie

Your very handy with finance!

Participant
    @jmsrachel
    Freckle wrote:
    jmsrachel wrote:

What’s your budget/estimate for each component Joe?

I was over at a mates place the other week, he’s a builder, and he was redoing the bathrooms in a temporary place he’s bought between new houses. He was working on the upstairs bedroom at the time and we were discussing varying aspects of the fit out. He blew me off my feet when he said he’d charge at least $25k for this in main street.

I was looking at doing a complete reno of the old man’s bathroom (he’s 82) to make it more functional and accessible as he gets even more decrepit. I thought I’d be lucky to do it for $5k!!

I haven’t budgeted for each component, rather a back of the envelope estimation. I am cheating as I am a cabinet maker and registered builder, so materials are a little cheaper for me. I reckon I might go over as I’ve upgraded the kitchen design but still will be under $10k. If I had to get trades in and just project manage I would have to budget for atleast $50k +.

I renovated a full house last year for $6000 exact. This even included cutting a large gum tree in the back yard and basic landscape.

Your mates bathroom quote of $25k sounds about right. My bathroom should cost me $1200, doing it for a customer I’d be charging $10k +.

who needs cherrie barber?

Profile photo of Thread BareThread Bare
    @thread-bare

I have a warm feeling, just like someone is weeing in my pocket.

Participant
    @jmsrachel
    Thread Bare wrote:
    I have a warm feeling, just like someone is weeing in my pocket.

wait till you get shafted by an over charging tradie, it will leave you limping for days!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.