All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying a Block of Units

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of ajayayyarajayayyar
    Participant
    @ajayayyar

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a block of units – I have invested in individual houses and units in the past.

I had a couple of queries regarding this.  I am located in NSW.

* When applying for a loan, would the bank cover the loan in a similar way it would for an individual property?  For example, with individual units and houses I've purchased in the past, the bank has provided sometimes 105% of the value of the purchase (including deposit/stamp duty costs/closing costs), 95%, or 90% at an absolute minimum.  Would the same apply for buying a block of units or is there any additional differences?

* Are there any additional charges in buying a block of units except for stamp duty?  Would be good to get an understanding of what to expect here.

* Any particular issues/concerns in relation to purchase a block of units in comparison to buying an individual property?

Anyone who has gone through this process or has knowledge around this who can provide some input would be great.

Cheers

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    ajayayyar wrote:
    Hi all,

* When applying for a loan, would the bank cover the loan in a similar way it would for an individual property?  For example, with individual units and houses I've purchased in the past, the bank has provided sometimes 105% of the value of the purchase (including deposit/stamp duty costs/closing costs), 95%, or 90% at an absolute minimum.  Would the same apply for buying a block of units or is there any additional differences?

Cheers

This is where choosing the right banks and right structure helps! Depending on the banks some will limit the LVR and some may not even finance this under residential rate. Having said that there's a bunch of lenders that would go up to 90-95% for block of 4 or less and 80% LVR for a block of up to 10.

However if you have equity in another property you could potentially get an 105% loan ( Stamp duty etc..)

ajayayyar wrote:
    Hi all,

* Are there any additional charges in buying a block of units except for stamp duty?  Would be good to get an understanding of what to expect here.

If it's strata titled; then the stamp duty will be aggregated ( if settled on the same day) and will be more expensive; if it's under one title then stamp duty is ok

Other cost;

– Land tax

– Council rate ( normally cheaper! )

– Water usage ( unless it has separate metered….very rare for older style units)

– Bank valuation ~ $300 per unit.

– Insurance is expensive 

ajayayyar wrote:

* Any particular issues/concerns in relation to purchase a block of units in comparison to buying an individual property?

Anyone who has gone through this process or has knowledge around this who can provide some input would be great.

– Cheaper council rate

– No strata

– CG and RY

– Control

– Can strata title later and sell off

list goes on!

Just settled on one last month and yes i applied for an 105% loan :)

Cheers

Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

P.s One of the biggest concern and risk with block of units is bank valuation and  " comparative sales" – if the valuer can't find any decent comparative sales then the deal falls through.  http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/finance-for-multiple-units

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

mcho7688
    Participant
    @mcho7688

Hi all,

Sorry if I ask a question on slightly different topic on block of units, just wondering why some of the sales requires buyers to pay GST? I happen to see an ad for 1 block of 4 units for sale here in Brisbane with tenants already in it. Had done some checks that the block was built in 1992.  Could it be the current owner strata titled them and onselling them??

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Profile photo of chardie80chardie80
    Participant
    @chardie80

Hi all,

i am also in the early stages of looking into purchasing a block of units – would love to get in touch with others who have done this or planning on doing it. I am considering  buying in my local area (townsville NQ), however insurance costs hear are through the roof, especially for units. I believe I in terms of bank financing unit blocks of 4 or less are treated in much the same way as individual units, but larger unit blocks start to be considered more like commercial property where yield and other factors play a bigger part.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Chardie

I have strata titled 43 blocks here in Brisbane over the last 16 years and still own 3 large blocks in my portfolio.

Regretfully the days of 4 units and under being treated as a residential loan is almost a thing of the past with only 3 lenders adopting this strategy.

In saying this if there are some good comparative sales then we can still do upto 10 units on 1 title as a residential loan.

I am currently financing a block of 8 units here in Brisbane for a forum member and we have done this at residential rates of interest albeit they only needed 65% lvr.

GST is only payable when you undertake "Substantial renovation" so if in doubt probably a good idea to obtain a PBR.

We have used this on a couple of the blocks in the past where were unsure.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

mcho7688
    Participant
    @mcho7688

Thanks for clarifying the GST part, Richard.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Depending on the area the units are located in, council rates and water rates may be charged "as though they are strata titled" even if they are not.  

You'll probably have to hire a gardener to mow the grass on the nature-strip and also any grass within the common-parts, trim plants etc.  It is unlikely any one tenant will feel like doing this for you on a reliably regular basis (and probably none of them own a mower anyway).  Another thing to remember is that tenants may see the common-parts as a convenient dumping ground for any rubbish that doesn't fit in their council bin.  This can mean you might have the occasional trip to the tip.

With regards to insurance, it is important to let the insurer know whether all the units are under the one roof-line or not.  It gets more expensive if they are not.

As has been mentioned, there are some hurdles with the lending so be sure to have a subject to finance clause if you decide to proceed to a contract of sale.

Be wary of investing in any dwelling that earns less than $150 per week in rent.  Whether you have a one bedroom unit or a 5 bedroom house, you still have to maintain an  oven, a hot water service, plumbing, taps, etc etc.  It would really bite if you had to replace an oven in a dwelling that earned only a tiny amount of rent, because it would be many weeks worth of rent eaten up just paying for the oven.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Pleasure Shawn.

Always best to get a Private Binding Ruling if you are any doubt.

Not cheap but worth it.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.