All Topics / Help Needed! / How do I get bond that is hold by previous agent?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of property_avidproperty_avid
    Participant
    @property_avid

Hi there,

I have a unit in Annerley, Queensland and I am not very happy with previous agent. Having my property managed by Ian Thompson Properties is like a nightmare. First of all, the tenant asked for 3 months contract and being renewed at the end of every 3-month-period. What I am unhappy with is: the agent was not following it up, until I asked her!!! Repeated emails and phone calls were ignored, I have to email them about 4 or 5 times and get no response from them. Finally, 2 weeks before the tenant ended his contract and not renewing his contract again, the agent got back to me. How am I supposed to get new tenant in 2 weeks time (and I had to chase this up with her all the time)? I asked her to advertise ASAP and I received no response again.

One thing that I am very disappointed with Ian Thompson Properties is: A lot of things have to be initiated by me. I asked the agent to give the tenant parcel for Christmas, and the agent agreed. However, there is no news about it until now. Also, for leaking air conditioning repair and water leakage, I have to ring them repeatedly and begged for them to get those repaired ASAP.

Finally, I contacted RE/MAX Colonial to manage my unit instead. So far, I am very happy with them and I highly recommend them if you want to get your property in Annerley area managed. When RE/MAX entered the unit, the carpet got cigarette burn marks on the carpet. So far, condition reports from Ian Thompson Properties advised the opposite: that the unit was well kept and no repair was required. I asked Ian Thompson Properties to take $150 from the previous tenant's bond, and they have agreed to do so.

Now, 2.5 weeks after the previous tenant left, I still have not received exit report and $150 compensation promised for cigarette burn marks on the carpet from Ian Thompson Properties. Repeated emails and phone calls were ignored. Please advise what I can do in this situation?

Thank you,

Ricky

property_avid | NA

Profile photo of Dave WardDave Ward
    Participant
    @dave-ward

Hi there,

If the repairs were deducted from the last tenants bond and you have a documented record of all of this (as you have stated), then its pretty easy. Write them a letter stating that they have 48 hours to issue the funds and report to you or you will be reporting them to the Department of Fair Trading. The last thing any agent wants is Fair Trading trawling through their offices. 

I suspect it will be resolved very quickly after a letter to that effect arrives.

Dave Ward | Geronimo Finance
    http://www.geronimofinance.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Investor, Property Investment Expert & Advisor, Finance Expert & Strategist

Profile photo of property_avidproperty_avid
    Participant
    @property_avid

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Here is what their response is, after 6 days of repeated ignored emails:

Hi Ricky,

I have to wait till the RTA deposit the funds into our account. I wish I could give you an exact time but unfortunately they don’t give one. It will be deposited immediately once it has been deposited.

Should I still write a letter to them?

Regards,

Ricky

property_avid | NA

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

The RTA has to write to the tenant confirming that they agree with the amount to be deducted from the bond. They will release the money within 48 hours – this should be to your account not the agent unless the agent has paid for the repairs.

Profile photo of property_avidproperty_avid
    Participant
    @property_avid

Hi Scott,

Ian Thompson Properties did not pay for the repairs, as they left the carpet with cigarette burn marks. RE/MAX Colonial found this out and notified me. Who can I contact in this case? I do not think it should take this long for the $150 to be returned by RTA? FYI: Ian Thompson Properties did not propose for rental increase at all, even though they have managed my unit for almost 2 years. I would discourage everyone who read this post to use their service.

Kind regards,

Ricky

property_avid | NA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.