All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Purchasing property – put in Trust or Personal?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of nicki_nicki_
    @nicki_

Hi All

Thanks for your time reading this. I thought I would give this a go after a rather unsuccessful attempt in another forum which received largely unfriendly replies (not all but some were). So here's hoping for a better experience here….

I can't predict the future but to my best thinking these will be my plans.

• I own a property (property 1) which I will sell soon. It is in my name. It is my PPOR.
    • I am buying a property (property 2) and plan to move into it shortly. I expect to live in it maybe 3 years. Its a short term home but will be a good long term investment.
    • I will settle on property 2 while I still own my PPOR (property 1).
    • If property 2 was rented now it would break even (after mortgage and costs).
    • I plan to keep property 2 long term as an investment after I move out. By this time, assuming rents increase, it would be positively geared.
    • I have enough money to only borrow 80% on each property. I can redraw against property 1 as I owe 67% on it. I also have some cash.
    • As I expect to keep property 2 long term as an investment, I would not expect to have PPOR exemption if I ever sold it.
    • I have a rather large capital loss I am carrying.
    • I earn an income that puts me in the 32.5 – 37c tax bracket (depending on year).
    • I have signed a contract on property 2 in my name only with a long settlement, so have time to get organised.
    • I have a discretionary trust set up, and at this stage I am the only trustee and beneficiary. I expect this to change in the future (have family etc).
    • Conveyancer has advised me I can transfer the interest in the property 2 to the trust if I would like before settlement. I would only have to pay stamp duty on the deposit.
    • I did not sign the contract  on property 2 as 'and/or nominee' (wasn't thinking straight after auction) but conveyancer advises me this makes no difference, I'd have to transfer the title interest to the trust anyway.
    • I plan to buy some shares in the future, and maybe more property for investment purposes and thinking of doing this in the trust also.

What I am thinking of doing is buying property 2 in the name of the trust. I base this on my expected use of it as an investment ultimately, and that I do not plan to sell it. The trust would give me more flexibility in distributing income in the future. If I do sell it at some point in the future after it has been a rental, then having it in the trust would not be a disadvantage as I would not have PPOR with the property in my name anyway. Also, the trust could still distribute the capital gain to me and I have a big capital loss I am carrying anyway to offset gains.

I would not cross collateralise as the trust would borrow 80% (and avoid LMI) with me as guarantor. I would redraw on property 1 and loan the trust the remainder 20% so its loan basis was 100% to maximise future anticipated investment flexibility (i.e. deductions of interest).

When I sell property 1 soon and move into property 2, I would pay market rent to the trust (and not deduct it – I am aware you can't do that) so that the mortgage is covered until I eventually move out.

Other option of course is to buy it in my name. Only benefit I see with this option is the PPOR CGT exemption if I do sell it when I move out. Less admin too. Given I have a big capital loss anyway, and long term I plan to keep it as an investment, I don't see this as much of a benefit. The downside would be the rental income would be taxed on top of my wage income.

I think that covers everything. I've had some professional advice but still unsure and keen to see what others think.

So looking for positive contributions of thoughts, advice, ideas from others who have done this or have some knowledge to share. If there is any other info that might help just let me know.

Cheers!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Couple of points:

– Why are you considering the trust for this property? i.e what are you trying to achieve?

– You seem to be getting advice from a conveyancer on the assignment to the trust – what are the legal implications of this? You have signed in your name and are supplying the deposit….

– How is your trust structured?

– What are the succession issues?

– What happens if you lose capacity?

– land tax issues?

– If you pay the trust rent but the trust not claim any deductions (why do you think you cannot do this?) then the trust will have income and you will end up paying tax on the rent you pay to your trust.

– Any stamp duty implications on changing names before settlement? (which state?)

BTW, You can't be only beneficiary of the trust – or it wouldn't be a discretionary trust. You may be the only named beneficiary? You can also not have a trust with one person being the trustee and the sole beneficiary – there would be no trust. A trust is where B owns property for C.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of nicki_nicki_
    @nicki_

Hi Terry

What am I trying to achieve? The trust would give me more flexibility in distributing income in the future as long term this will be an investment. It will also enable me to not have the income on top of my personal wage income if I have others to distribute the income to (which is a possibility in the future).

Assigning to the trust – the accountant did not see this as a problem. I can ask a Lawyer also to check.

My trust is structured: Me Appointee, Me Trustee, Me Default Beneficiary. Settlor was the accountant. The plan is for this to change in the future (or at least have the flexibility for it). Are you saying this is not a valid trust?

Succession / lose capacity: I can appoint a successor per the trust structure.

Land tax issues: none currently as property 2 falls beneath the threshold.

Rent from me to the trust: I don't think I explained this well. I meant the trust cannot use it to make a loss if I am living there as it is not 'arms length'. The accountant advised not to do this. I will pay rent and the trust will deduct the interest of the mortgage and break even.

Stamp duty: yes, as I mentioned there will be stamp duty on the deposit ($100). South Australia.

Participant
    @terryw

So it seems tax is your main concern.

Accountants can only give tax advice. Assignement of a contract or recission etc is legal advice and you need to talk to a lawyer – not a conveyancer.

I don't know if your trust is valid. The internal structure of the trust is important. There could be some asset protection issues with the way you have set it up.

What do you mean appoint a successor? Who has this power? How is it exercised – have you done it yet – whether appointing a back up appointor by deed or by your will. There is a recent case involving a trust and an experienced lawyer who had himself appointed new appointor of a trust controlled by his dad. Dad later died and the appointment was invalid – someone else took control of the trust.

Sounds like you are manipulating the rent to break even – is this arms lenght? Why pay rent? Why not do it arms length and have the trust make a loss? Why do you think you cannot make a loss if living there? Do you have a private ruling? Whats the reasoning?

How does stamp duty in SA work? On the deposit? In NSW you pay stamp duty on the contract of sale.

Does duty result if you change names on the contract or if the person that settles the contract is different to the one who signs the contract?

I am a bit concerned you are using an accountant for advice, except for the rent issue all of this is legal advice.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

Did you meet the lawyer or speak to that set up the trust? It would probably be valid, but is it effective? What about the asset protection issues with default beneficiaries? You may be approaching the stage of having a properietary interest in the trust the way it is structured.

That ruling is from 1985. There has been a whole new tax act enacted since then ITAA 1997. I suggest that it could be possible to rent from a trust you control and have the trust claim the deductions – you need to seek specific tax advice on the situation.

Have you appointed the successor appointor? What happens if you don't? I have seen cases where the public trustee becomes appoiintor of a family trust.

Email Me

@nicki_

Tax is my main concern, but asset protection is also handy. For example, if I have a spouse at home with a child earning no money, I would like to distribute investment income. Like I have said my plan is for this property to be part of my investments long term, not main residence.

The trust was set up by a Lawyer, so why would it not be valid? I suppose the Lawyer could be negligent.

Succession: I have this power (per terms of trust a trust officer which is a Trustee or the Appointer can appoint a successor).

Rent: not manipulating, just its neutral at the moment at market rates. The advice I received is that if I live there and it made a loss, then I would be converting an otherwise non-deductible private expense into a loss. Any ideas on how I can live there and still have the mortgage repaid with the house in the name of the trust? Here is a ruling: http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?DocID=ITR/IT2167/NAT/ATO/00001

Stamp duty: on the full price at settlement. If transferring the interest then I would pay it on the deposit.

Have you any recommendations or suggestions?

@nicki_

Thanks Terry. The main point of my post was to see if people had thoughts and suggestions about the merits of putting the property in my name or in the trust, based on my situation and projections of my situation (both of which I have explained in detail). Have you any thoughts on whether putting the property it into the trust or in my personal name is the way to go?

Regarding whether I can put it in the trust, transferring interest, and all the legal issues that go with that, I will meet a lawyer and accountant again to clarify. I think I will actually see another lawyer as the lawyer who set up the trust only met with me very briefly, the creation of the trust seemed to be quite generic and was organised by the accountant whom I did meet. I have read it thoroughly and it seems fine though.

Main thing I'm interested to get feedback on is suggestions and the merits (advantages/disadvantages) of putting the property in the trust or in my name given my plans.

Participant
    @terryw

If property 2 is owned by a trustee then you won’t get the CGT main residence exemption which you otherwise could. This is potentially a lot to give up.

Not sure of the land tax situation in SA – but you could have land tax issues in the future too.

Email Me

@nicki_

I don't plan on staying there long term but I do plan on keeping it long term as an investment. So based on that would you think the trust is the way to go?

Participant
    @terryw
    nicki_ wrote:
    I don't plan on staying there long term but I do plan on keeping it long term as an investment. So based on that would you think the trust is the way to go?

I know nothing of your situation so can’t answer.

If you are only going to be there short term you may still be able to take advantage of your main residence absence provisions (s118-145) to keep it tax free after you move out for up to 6 years.

Email Me

@nicki_
    Terryw wrote:
    I know nothing of your situation so can't answer.

I think thats been the point of all the information in my OP.

Participant
    @terryw
    nicki_ wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

Limited information.

Email Me

@nicki_
    Terryw wrote:
    nicki_ wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

Limited information.

Well I wouldn't call it nothing.

Thanks for your limited input.

Can't say it was useful. Wasn't asking for much, just to come to a property investing forum and post for ideas and suggestions re. putting a property in a trust or in my name. My guess is people don't know much about it themselves, hence why the responses have been lees than helpful.

Participant
    @terryw
    nicki_ wrote:
    Terryw wrote:
    nicki_ wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

Limited information.

Well I wouldn't call it nothing.

Thanks for your limited input.

Can't say it was useful. Wasn't asking for much, just to come to a property investing forum and post for ideas and suggestions re. putting a property in a trust or in my name. My guess is people don't know much about it themselves, hence why the responses have been lees than helpful.

You seem to misunderstand trusts. Not as simple as you think maybe.

Email Me

@nicki_
    Terryw wrote:
    You seem to misunderstand trusts. Not as simple as you think maybe.

Yep, that's why I'm posting in this discussion forum for some helpful suggestions and ideas.

Some helpful discussion on this topic would benefit my understanding and others who would be thinking about this. :)

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Hi nicki

Terry is pretty knowledgeable in tax, law, and estate planning. The only reason he cant give you specific advice on your situation is because he doesn't know your situation. The information you gave in your initial post is enough to give general advice. The specified advice you can ask for $200-300 a hour for a qualified person to sit down and go through your situation and the merits of buying both in your own name or buying a trust.

How much is the property worth? (Ie if it was a million dollar property) perhaps buying in your own name and not having issues of CGT for 6 years and no land tax would be beneficial

Distributing from trusts are not as powerful as they once were. To kids under 18 its less then $500 now before you start getting taxed at maximum rate. And you wouldn't have any 18 year old children yet so distributing to them isn't possible. Most likely if you had a spouse then they would also be working and you couldn't distribute to them anyway.  

You are selling property 1. I personally would buy this property 2 in my own name. because the CGT exemption is such a benefit, i personally believe it outweighs any tax advantages at this stage of your property portfolio.

It is still possible to add a martial partner to the title/deed later in life (without incurring stamp duty in sa)

@nicki_

Thanks Wilko!

If I told you that the property is under land tax value and I plan to keep it indefinitely, would you think still the same? I plan to keep it as a rental if/when I move out, not sell it. So I thought having flexibility to distribute income + the asset protection would make it a good start to add into a property portfolio in the trust.

Also, the 6 year CGT avoidance – is this even if it is rented out after I have moved out of it as my PPR?

Cheers!

p.s. I have already paid an accountant $200-$300 ph, but realising now that he was not very helpful as he hasn't covered a lot of this. The Lawyer charged $350 for the trust set up. Pockets are not never ending unfortunately, so will have to research and get tips as best i can before going back to see someone else… get more prepared this time. Hence why I am here  :)

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Well it might be under land tax value currently. But in 20

Years time it might be well over taxable value, if the government don't increase the land tax threshold inline at least with inflation 

the 6 year rule means that if you lived in the property for 3 years as you said. Then moved out you would have 6 years Of being able to

claim the PPOR CGT exemption. If you moved back in to your house at 5 years and 11 months say for 1 year then the 6 year rule would begin again.  And you would get another 6 years. 

And what type of house you are buying also plays a factor in what structure you should put it in. Are you buying a new/recent property. Is there going to be depreciable quantities left in the home. A brand new home can have up to 10-12k depreciation in the first year.   Are you buying a home

which require some maintenance and renovations to occur. Are you buying just a average home ? 

Whats your profession like. Is there a chance of being sued personally ie a doctor. A doctor might choose to have a PPOR and all other assets in different structures to prevent them from being targeted  if any malpractice or accidents happened 

@nicki_

The house I am buying is a very old home which will require some renovations, about $30k or so, which I expect will add to the capital value significantly.

I am planning on keeping this property indefinitely. This means not selling it which means no CGT. Even if I did sell it I have a large capital loss I am carrying from GFC and it would have a 50% discount even if not my PPOR. But, like I keep saying, I am keeping it indefinitely. It will make an ideal rental, very close to the city and in a popular suburb. I'd have to pay land tax if it ever goes over the threshold with the property in my name only if it is a rental investment just the same if it is in the trust.

No chance of me being sued in my profession but I'd like to look at some business opportunities in the next few years.

So, I think people are missing the point. I am not selling this house in the future. I am planning on keeping it long term as a rental investment. When I move out I will keep it. If it would still be better off in my name then fair enough, but so far I haven't seen any other pros for this other than a possible PPOR CGT exemption, depending on circumstance (i.e. if I sell it). In the trust it will allow me to distribute the future income. 

If I buy it in my name then I may as well sell it before the CGT exemption expires but I don't plan on selling it ever so I am not sure I see the point.

Profile photo of Rob G.Rob G.
    Participant
    @rob-g.

CGT still matters because it is a tax on inflation.

Even your dependents may inherit the property with your historical cost base and substantial underlying tax liability – AKA 'death taxes'. I seem to remember Terry trying to raise estate planning issues with you.

Present value does matter with capital appreciating assets.

What makes you think the 50% discount will remain … non-residents recently lost it.

Basically, the ATO's equity will be increasing along with yours or your trust's.

Streaming of capital gains through trusts is constantly being reviewed by government.

Terry is clearly concerned about your seeming lack of instruction from the solicitor that sold you the trust deed, and your reliance upon the conveyancer's legal advice which might trigger double stamp duty upon changing the names on the contract if done incorrectly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.