All Topics / Help Needed! / First home owners grant

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of ronnie01ronnie01
    Participant
    @ronnie01

Hey guys I am 20 yrs old and looking to buy my first home in Melbourne, my question was what is the current "first home owners grant" have to offer? is it different for every state? Will the FHOG change under the new government?, Should I take advantages of the FHOG now or should I wait?  sorry for all these questions I am new to property  and thought I would start somewhere, appreciate all answers thank you.

Matt

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Matt

It's a federal grant administered by the states. The states decide on how they administer it – so the polices vary. Generally though, there's been a push towards providing the grant to new properties only.

There's different stamp duty incentives across the different jurisdictions too.

Most state govts regularly review and alter their policies to suit their requirements at the time – which can catch people out.

Best to consult with the office of state revenue.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Hi Matt,

For Victoria as of 1st July this year, the First Home Owners Grant (increased to $10K) is only available for properties that are purchased brand new (never been lived in before) or that will be newly built. It is no longer available for old established properties.

There is also a stamp duty discount of 40% that applies to first home buyers which is applicable to all purchases whether they be new or established.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.