All Topics / Help Needed! / Interstate property’s hot water system replacement

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of evisionalevisional
    @evisional

I have a investment property interstate (Brisbane). This morning, PM representative email me that "the tenant at your property, called up this morning advising that there is something wrong with the hot water system (…) Would you like me to arrange for a plumber to go to the property and fix the problem?" It is quite unclear what happen to hot water system.No hot water or inadequate hot water or rust colored water whatever. It is not a very good information about the problem. Clearly, communication is not quite good.

I authorised him to arrange plumber to go to the property and inspect the problem.

This afternoon, he called me and reported that the hot water system has to be replaced. In the meantime, plumber temporarily fix the hot water system and it can work up to 1 week at cost of $140; And he will arrange quote for replacement of hot water system. I requested him to ask plumber what is exactly wrong to the hot water systems? I have requested him to get 3 different quotes.

I requested him to ask plumber what is exactly wrong to the hot water systems? I have requested him to get 3 different quotes. However, he said that it will take time to get 3 quotes and tenants will not be happy to wait.

I do not want tradesman rip money off from me for unnecessary repair. The property has been purchased just 3 years but major replacements and repairs happens every year. These rarely happen to my own home and my investment properties in Melbourne. Each each, it incurred me significant maintenance cost for interstate property. Therefore, I have to carefully consider these issues.

What is your advice in this situation? what are your strategies to prevent tradesman rip money off from you when you cannot reach your property and sight the property often.

what is the average cost for hot water replacement?

Profile photo of TarobTarob
    Participant
    @tarob

Hi Evisional,

My advice would be to engage a property manager you trust, who then will in turn engage tradies they trust, problem solved.

In regards to getting other quotes, I agree with your property manager, at best you may save a few bucks. Or you could pay for a second plumber to go to site and give you a second opinion, however that would probably cost more than the difference between the highest and lowest quote. Good luck

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Get a detailed written fixed price quote before work starts and a warranty. 

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hiya

If you want to save a few dollars, you might do so by sourcing the unit yourself and then paying for a plumber to install.

Ebay actually has quite a few sellers of HWS that deliver nationwide. Their prices are quite competitive.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

How can they fix the hot water system for one week only? Would be interesting to see what would happen after that 1 week period… sounds a bit suss.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    N@than wrote:
    How can they fix the hot water system for one week only? Would be interesting to see what would happen after that 1 week period… sounds a bit suss.

Masking tape :-)

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of OzmanOzman
    @ozman

`Hi EVISIONAL

What was the outcome?

My experience is if the HW system is 10 year old tradies will generally replace as warranty of any work likely to be called up if another problem arrises.

About the only thing that I can think of that could be fixed by a temp repair in an electric HW would be a blockage or a leak. in a gas unit its possible burner / control parts are no longer available for the unit. I would guess its gas.

Its good to have your own trades lined up so they will report direct to you on an emergency call out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.