All Topics / Finance / beginners question

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of tom123tom123
    Participant
    @tom123

Hi my name is Tom, I'm 21 and new to all of this. i'm currently looking to buy my first investment property and i can't get finance so my dad will be getting the loan.

my dad has a line of credit out of his house of around 150k and i have 32k in the bank but currently am unemployed (looking for work). i'd only need 100k max for a 20% deposit on a house. (i'm looking for properties around 300-500k)

So my first question being how long would it take us to get a home loan on a property? because i want the process of getting a loan to be fast. thinking a 20% deposit would help that. i actually have no idea how long it would take to get the loan?

second question, if i have the title of the property and he has the loan in his name, but he's paying the weekly repayments can he still claim them because its for a investment property or does he have to be on the title of the property as well? and if he does can be a caveat ? 

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Tom

Approval can take between a day and two weeks depending on the lender and loan type.

You also don't necessarily need to have a 20% deposit to purchase the property if you're willing to pay LMI. The minimum is 5% plus costs.

The bank is going to want your dad to be on the title if he's borrowing the money.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Tom as Jamie mentioned Title will need to include your dad.

Some lenders will insist that loan and title are identical and question where the beneficial interest lies others will be ok with it.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of tom123tom123
    Participant
    @tom123

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

ok so in that case i'd have my dad on the title i might be a caveat on the title. my idea is just to make low ball offers and then when i get a offer accepted to act quickly.

any tips on how i can do this with finance to make the "getting a loan" process faster? this is first time investing in property / buying a house. 

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Get specific legal advice – a caveat is not a legal instruct claiming ownership. It just states that you have interest in the property and issues will arise when it comes to further borrowings against the property. Lenders do not like caveats.

Also not sure how old your dad is but is age may be an issue so you need to factor this.

All in all please plan carefully rather than unknowingly and randomly choosing a lender and creating unnecessary hits on your credit file.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Terry posts here can can be a good point of reference re the legalities of the caveat. 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.