All Topics / Help Needed! / Subdivide and slide existing house sideways

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of peopeo
    Participant
    @peo

Hi folks

I am currently looking at a property in Brisbane on a 809 m block.

There is a small two bed workers cottage which would need to be moved 2-3 m to one side to leave the second block vacant for a new build.

Does anyone know what the council requirements may be for the house being moved, I had heard often they require the building to be brought in line with current building standards 

once it has been moved. Which would obviously involve big costs as opposed to a simple slide.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be appreciated, or provide tales of similar  experiences.

Thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Work out if the house can be moved – is it high set/have adequate access underneath to resupport and then put on wheels to move? You will need to reestablish all services as well as stumping/piers etc for the new location. There is also the risk of having all the walls/windows/ceilings crack.

Have a chat to council's town planner to find out their requirements. (What doesn't meet BCA eg: room heights, windows etc?).

It may be cheaper to knock it over and put in a clad home of similar size.

Profile photo of peopeo
    Participant
    @peo

Thanks Scott

Yes one of my concerns was the fact that it is so low to the ground and may not be easy to slide across.

The deal could still work by getting rid of the house and building two new builds, but I was hoping to get away with throwing $40 k at the cottage and re siting it, and just do the one new build.

Will do more research on the coatings, and hopefully hear back from the town planner which should give more clarity.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.