All Topics / Help Needed! / Developing in Melbourne

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of CorieCorie
    Participant
    @corie

Hi people,

I am from Perth but have recently been looking at doing some small developments in Melbourne outer suburbs. In Perth we have zoning laws that dictate how much land is needed per dwelling on a development site. Some suburbs require more land, some less and some allow for multi storey dwellings. 

What I want to know is how this all works in Victoria and where do I go to find out the rules and regulations I am looking around the suburbs of springvale, clayton etc.

Corie

Profile photo of PRO VictoriaPRO Victoria
    @pro-victoria

Hi Corie,

There are no minimum lot sizes for multi-unit development and subdivisions in Melbourne.  Generally, the local council with assess the planning application for the development prior to the subdivision application.  This is to ensure the proposed development complements the existing neighbourhood character of the area in addition to satisfying other planning requirements such as amenity impacts.  The orientation of the site as well as the site coverage, setback and private open space requirements will also determine how many units can be constructed on a site.  For example an 800m2 Residential 1 zone site in one area of Melbourne may be suitable for 5 units, but in another it would only be suitable for 3.

To found out the site coverage, setback and POS requirements for a specific site, go to the following website and search for a Free Planning Report for the site.  This will tell you the zoning, if the site is constrained by any overlays and provide links to the relevant sections of the planning schemes which will outline the specific requirements for the zone/site/local area.

http://services.land.vic.gov.au/landchannel/jsp/reports/ReportsIntro.jsp

Please note that Victoria has recently introduced planning reforms to residential zones which are currently being rolled out across the Council areas, Glen Eira Council has been the first one to introduce the new zones which have placed a subdivision restriction of one into two lots on sites within the Neighbourhood Residential Zone.  However there is still no minimum lot size required.  Monash and Greater Dandenong Council's for the areas you are looking are yet to introduce the reformed planning zones.

If you have any specific sites that you are currently looking at, feel free to PM the address and I will respond with site identifying information removed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.