All Topics / Help Needed! / LVR = eh??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Gilly61Gilly61
    @gilly61

Hi,

I just need someone to help me understand whether I have got this right please.

Lets pretend I have a house worth $400,00 and a loan for 300,000.

The loan to valuation ratio would then be 300,000/400,000 = 75%. Right?

Now here is where I get lost – in general the banks will lend up to 80% of the LVR.

So does this mean they will lend you 80% of what???

How can they lend a percentage of a percentage?

With the above scenario – if I want to buy a $200,000 property and use the equity from the previous property – and of course assuming I have the ability to pay back the loan – how do I calculate and use the equity in property 1. Do I have $100,000 I could use for deposit? or is it 80% – $80,000

Please help me – I am getting confused!

frown

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

You can borrow up to 80% of the value of the property without paying LMI (Lenders mortgage insurance).

If the new property is valued at $200,000 you can borrow $160,000 on that property.

OK property 1 is valued at $400,000 and has a loan of $300,000.  You can borrow up to 80% of the value of $400,000 which is $320,000. So you can borrow another $20,000.

Set up a separate loan for the deposit (don't just draw it out of the existing loan) and then get a stand alone loan of 80% of property 2 against property 2. That way they aren't cross collaterised.  You can do the new loan up to 90% LVR but you'll have to pay LMI.

Hope that makes sense. If not ask further questions.

Profile photo of Gilly61Gilly61
    @gilly61

Oh Thankyou!!!

So still using the above scenario – I can borrow the $20,000 for the deposit, borrow $160,000 for the $200,000 property so still need a further $20,000 cash. Is that right?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Essentially yes, though you would then need additional money to pay for stamp duty, building and pest inspection, solicitor/conveyancing and bank fees.

Would be good to understand what your objectives are though.  It might be that you are focussing your eyes on the wrong kind of property for reaching your goals.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@gilly61

Thankyou so much for your comments. The figures were really to try and gain an understanding of how it all works. Not my current situation. I now have a much better understanding so thankyou all for your comments. I will certainly get further advice from a variety of sources.

:)

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Gilly61 wrote:

Please help me – I am getting confused!

frown

Hi Gilly

Welcome aboard.

If you've got a house worth $400k and a loan of $300k then you could take out $20k in equity without having to pay any Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI). It's calculated by taking the value of the property ($400k) multiplying it by 0.8 (80% LVR) which equals $320k and subtracting the existing loan amount ($300k). 

Normally you'd use this equity release (the $20k) to cover the deposit/costs on your investment property purchase and then take out a loan for the remaining portion.

However, $20k might only just be enough to cover the deposit/costs on a $200k purchase using a 95% loan on the investment property.

Therefore, you could look at accessing more than $20k and taking your current loan above 80% of the properties value. Some lenders allow you take the loan up to 90% of the properties value – which in this instance would provide you with $60k which would be more than enough to cover the deposit/costs on your $200k purchase.

This part is where a decent broker/banker comes into play. They'll work out how much equity you need to access in your current property to cover the deposit/costs on your investment property whilst keeping your LMI costs as low as possible and also avoiding cross collaterising your current property and investment property.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@gilly61

Thanks Jamie – that's great!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

No worries at all – glad it helped :-)

We throw these phrases around all the time that it becomes second nature – so it's good to take a step back every now and then.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.