All Topics / Help Needed! / Improvement vs Repair of a roof.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of gooseheadgoosehead
    Participant
    @goosehead

Has anyone  had experience with replacing a roof for environmental reasons?  If so what is the difference between repairing the roof and improving the roof?

fyi, I understand that replacing a roof is considered an improvement and therefor it is depreciated at 2.5% over the life of the roof.  I am looking at a ruling where the roof is required to be repaired by replacement because the materials are a health risk to the tenants, ie asbestos roof.

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Maybe the roof collapsing due to degradation or the possibility of it coming off in a storm is also a health and safety risk.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

I think asbestos roofes have a instant tax writeoff available for them. 

look at the linked api article.

http://www.apimagazine.com.au/api-online/news/2012/09/government-takes-action-on-removing-asbestos-from-houses

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

The only word of warning is that the asbestos roof has to actually deteriorate whilst you own the property.

So you couldn't buy a home that needed the asbestos repaired at the point of sale.

Profile photo of freykartsfreykarts
    Participant
    @freykarts

I know this is outdated, but for those who are really confuse, there is no more reliable than consulting a roofer themselves. Whether it be a residential or a company. Just a piece of information, if the roof is significantly old with damages, like it is past the supposed age better replace it.

Cheers.

Frey | https://www.roofingrepairswestauckland.kiwi/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.