All Topics / General Property / Changes to the planning scheme in Vic has commenced

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

Well, Glen Eira is the first cab off the rank. Changes to their planning scheme begins next week (15th). Basically what this means is that any applications received after this date will be based upon the scheme (see attachment). Height restrictions, rear setbacks and the number of dwellings allowed are the big ones.

I expect other councils to follow suit pretty soon. These changes will be more significant in the well to do areas e.g. Boroondara, Whitehorse etc. If you have a block to develop it may be best to get started and submit to council sooner rather than later, especially if you are in a standard residential street.

Cheers

Oscar

Profile photo of PRO VictoriaPRO Victoria
    @pro-victoria

Glen Eira in my opinion have never been a pro-development Council, which is evident in their Planning Schemes Local Planning Policies where they designated the majority of Residential 1 Zoned land as a minimal change area.  Therefore this doesn't suprise me too much that they have decided to designate these areas as Neighbourhood Residential Zone.

From what I have gathered speaking to a number of Councils is that the new Residential Zones are going to follow what is currently outlined in their Local Planning Policies or Housing Strategy's.  For example, an indication of how Whitehorse will designate residential land under the reformed zones can be found under Clause 22.03 of their Planning Scheme which outlines Substantial Change, Natural Change and Minimal Change Area.  For Maribyrnong Council their Housing Strategy (2011) outlines areas of Limited, Incremental and Substantial Change which are indicated to likely be designated as Neighbourhood, General and Residential Growth respectively.

However there are no guarantees to this so if you are looking to develop and are worried these changes are going to affect you, it would be better to look into getting your application in sooner than later particularly if you are affected by a Heritage Overlay or in an outer suburb.

Further information on Glen Eira's reformed Residential Zones can be found at this link.  I think Oscar may of missed it in his post.

http://www.gleneira.vic.gov.au/Council/Media_and_news/News/Height_limits_over_all_residentially_zoned_land

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.