All Topics / Help Needed! / Urgent help needed… House with unapproved extra room.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of bullet46bullet46
    Participant
    @bullet46

Hi Guys,

I'm after a bit of help and some direction from here as I fear a big mistake could be looming.

Went to contract on a property a week ago. Beautiful looking home in QLD but noticed it had some extras that I thought were worth checking into.

The property has a deck, carport and shed that I wanted to do searches on to prove that they were legal. The search came back that the deck was approved but the family room next to the deck wasn't. The ceiling height of the family room is also under the legal requirement. It appears what the previous owners have done is this:

Approval for deck: Tick

Cut deck space in half and instead add on an extra room: no tick

The company that performed the building inspecting has said that it is a problem but we may be able to get around it by saying that the "family room" is actually a "store room".

I fear that I will buy the property and end up with something later on that I can't sell OR tenants enter the property and a fire occurs only to find that I have a property with illegal modifications.

Please give me some direction from here as I'm at a loss.

Jamie

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Not all rooms and renovations require council approval, especially internal renovations; simply give your council a call or flick them an email and they will let you know if that room requires approval or not, and the requirements.

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of bullet46bullet46
    Participant
    @bullet46

Hi Shape,
    Is it an internal wall when they built a deck and essentially closed it in to make a room. They then knocked down and internal wall to create open plan living.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Yes i would consider that as internal renovations. 

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.