All Topics / Overseas Deals / Wow overseas deals threads sure have died..

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of KimberlyKimberly
    @kimberly
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    congrats.   51 plex means ????  is it a 51 unit apartment… or 51 duplexes or fourplexes… What area of the US did you make this purchase.  I certainly hope it is a successful venture for you and your partners.

– 6 efficiences

– 8 motel studio style

– 24 one bed, one bath

– 9 two bed, one bath

– 3 two bed, two bath

– 1 three bed, two bath

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Sweet

Jay is back also.

Lets get this overseas section booming again hahahaha

Thanks

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of IlovehousesIlovehouses
    @ilovehouses

Alex has defaulted on payments he owed on the property I lent on.  Be very wary!!  

Profile photo of Giggleguts22Giggleguts22
    Participant
    @giggleguts22

After a recent trip to the US I am interested to read what is happening over there from an investors perspective.

I was also surprised to hear from friends of friends who used to work on Wall Street that they have remained in a property the last 5 years that they haven't paid a mortgage payment on for the 5 years.  This is a house that has 4  bedrooms, a den, a massive pool and deck in a good neighbourhood that did lose some value after the GFC but has held fairly steady.  I am curious as to how after this length of time they can remain in the property.  They talk about looking at property they might move to when they are finally turfed out. I just wonder which of you would take them on as a tenant – NOT ONE mortgage payment made in 5 years. 

I'm also curious as to how they can be picky as to the type of property they will take – as apparently what they have looked at so far doesn't suit their needs.  They said that loans are sold and resold and when it goes through the process that they could just be at the bottom of the pile.  They are making no effort to move – not packing boxes just thinking about it – although they believe their time is almost up.  Can anyone shed light on this?

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

GG 22              Yes in fact many many US home owners have been living in their homes for many years without making any payment…  I Vegas there are attorneys for 1,000 bucks or so that can keep you in a house for 2 to 3 years.   The amazing thing is the attitude of those that are in the houses like you have expressed… Its like it thier right and screw the lender… Well being a lender thats not an attitude that we like…. However those same folks will have no problem renting, Landlords and property managers over look anyone who had a foreclosure and they actually think them to be good risks because if they don't pay they would then be homeless.. Not to mention most of these folks have good income.  Welcome to the foreclosure mess… The reality was that there were millions of them and the banks just could not deal with them all.. And yes if the loans got sold repeadily in the secondary market it can take forever for the new investors who bought the mortgages to catch up with the defautl.. REally depends on the state though… If these are mortgage states these take much longer.. Like New York it can take 3 years to foreclose in the normal course of business.. FLA 1 to 2 years.. If Its a Deed of Trust state Like Georgia CA etc those can go as quick as 3 to 8 months.   It does give those of us who have paid all their mortgages on time pause… Here you have these people living for free and you have others that care about their credit etc who ground through the hard times and kept everything current ( that would be me) :)

Profile photo of BoughtWithEquityBoughtWithEquity
    Participant
    @boughtwithequity

It's great to share and learn from many of the writers here.  We each have something to contribute and hopefully something to learn….and earn.  Much of this is perspective and experience.  The hedge funds have no doubt pushed up values in the markets in which they operate.  In Atlanta, they have actually been over-paying at the foreclosure sales and outbidding one another.  Why you ask?  Simple…they have raised the funds and they need to deploy them.  They cannot perform proper due diligence on most of their buys and their model is one of renting and cashing out with appreciation in 5 years.  But there might not be any appreciation at all in some of those markets…then what?  I don't know really.  I do know that in Atlanta, the funds are running into the same problems as everyone else….finding and keeping good tenants.  My group creates shared housing.  It works for us and produces better results than traditional single family rentals.  We have been approached by a couple of the hedge fund groups to come in and work to create a similar program for them.  I believe they are starting to recognize the flaws in their model which is which they are starting to create derivatives to get out it and, I agree with you, that if this comes to pass, it will eventually crash.  However, that will just create another opportunity for savvy investors to partner and get great deals.  It has always been my view that investing in single family homes is a Mom & Pop business that cannot be cookie cuttered.  That's the reason Warren Buffett talks about buying 100,000s of single family homes and why he isn't doing so directly.  There's no way to do it.  If our Atlanta market crashes again, all that will be lost is the 16% gains we've experience mostly based on the hedge fund buys and groups like ours will continue doing what we do.

If an asset continues to produce double digit returns, do you really care about it's market value?  No, you shouldn't.  There are a lot of different investment approaches in the US: some are selling notes, some wholesaling, some collecting a fee to simply be your guide, some partnering and so on.  Finding market savvy partners with boots on the ground in the markets you choose to invest in will be the key to your success.  We get asked all the time about appreciation and, for us, the simple answer is, it's just a bonus if you get it.  US investors before the crash were all about appreciation.  I only buy based on what I can do with the property today and how it will cashflow.  Our backend buyers are purchasing a renovated & rented asset with a guaranteed 10% return for 18 months.  That's good enough for those who want to actually be passive owners.  Our front-end partners are happy with a fixed return, in a short period, with a slice of the profits.  If we can turn their money 2 or 3 times a year, then they can do better with this model than most anything else.  Smart investors will diversify with a mix of investment routes….some notes, some partnering and some owning.

There are still many bargains to be had in our Atlanta market and others across the US….you have to know where to look and have the ability to turn them & keep them rented.  Otherwise, you just bought an anchor not an asset.

To Kimberly – where did you buy these?  all the best!  Andy

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

yes in fact Hedge funds are paying full price for properties as high as 50 Million. What that tells us is that the US markets have bottomed. I still find that we can get god deals in Florida. But markets like Texas are now booming and it is good idea to stay out of them. So if you are interested in US investing you need to look now for good deals.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.