All Topics / Help Needed! / Just bought a Weatherboard!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of SirDangerMouseSirDangerMouse
    Participant
    @sirdangermouse

I am in need of advice on the 'order of things to get done'.

I have a long settlement (4months) in place with time to set up my contractors , dad (retired brickie) and potential minions to be ready to go to work on settlement date.

I then plan to move in after 2 months of initial renovations, with my wife and I wanting to have the house straightened, rewired, walls and floors done, updated bathroom and kitchen, heating and cooling installed.

It is a little 'up and down' on original redgum stumps – but not too bad-; hardwood floors underneath carpet and lino; has horsehair plaster walls and wallpaper; crummy bathroom with asbestos shower over bath recess; no heating; probably no insulation; some lights work, some don't; electric heated water container up in the ceiling somewhere.

What is the ORDER of doing a typical '1st stage' renovations job like this, to happily move my wife and child into this place after a 2 months?

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

SirDangerMouse.

Profile photo of GrantMckGrantMck
    @grantmck

HI SirDangerMouse, My first port of call would be to get the Asbestos assessed and quoted for removal if in fact it is asbestos. The Bathroom is the most involved with the amount of trades needed, so I would suggest starting with the Bathroom and whilst doing this, look at the hot water service, its age and consider replacing it at the same time. The Kitchen would be my next consideration as once again, if a Kitchen renovation takes longer than anticipated, it may upset the household. The Bathroom and the Kitchen will keep a happy wife, and as we know, a happy wife a happy life! :) Most importantly, make sure you have a budget and stick as close to it as you can, as costs can runaway from you very quickly and it may challenge the completion date. Regards Grant

Profile photo of Trent900ssTrent900ss
    @trent900ss

Hey all, 

I would be would be checking if any part of the house needs restumping, this can cause you problems down the track.

I agree with a new hottie, and heating/cooling sorted so it will be liveable 

Profile photo of SirDangerMouseSirDangerMouse
    Participant
    @sirdangermouse

Thanks guys.

Q. What specific renovation jobs do I need to, and not need to, get building permits and council approval for?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.