All Topics / General Property / Any thoughts on AYR south of Townsville

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of gags327gags327
    Participant
    @gags327

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on AYR south of Townsville

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

HI mate,

I live and bought in Townsville over the last 20yrs.  My thoughts, small regional but close enough to Townsville that it won't die. yet lying flat for some time. What kind of property are you looking at there?

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Profile photo of mbuildingmbuilding
    Participant
    @mbuilding

I have been to AYR few times, and know few ppl who has business there..

not my choice of town to invest, as it has plenty land around and not much growth indicators!

What is your strategy??

Profile photo of gags327gags327
    Participant
    @gags327

Thanks for the comments guys, I realize it has been flat for some time and prices have come back quite a bit. I would be looking at 3 bedrooms and a large block, perhaps in the lower price range and basically positively geared. The reason I ask is it does seem quite cheap there but the more I research there seems to be some ok looking areas in Townsville for not much more money, so am I better taking my money to there. Have been to Townsville a few times but don't know it real well from a investing perspective.

A good point about the land surrounding the town, but this is the case with most North QLD towns.

Profile photo of nelsonnnelsonn
    @nelsonn

There are various statistic from Townsville Council website, which indicate not so positive index in term of annual population growth , available land of residential, number of approval for new dwelling and the dipping of mining activities. The risks are there but it should be a long term stock instead of short term growth; but vacancies is relatively high meaning it could be potentially negatively geared. What do you think ?

Profile photo of NQ6NQ6
    Participant
    @nq6

Ayr  might  not be a bad place to get into, the other places worth a look is Charters Towers or Ingham, both a little over an hour  from Townsville, with the Adani/ Abbot point [ north of Bowen] coal terminal and railway approval  this week from the Federal govt.   demand  on housing   will happen.  They are looking to spend  $15 Bil, and need 5000 workers, then there is GVK power    3000 workers with a similar project.    Charters Towers  is looking like  being a service centre being not too far away from the action.   The knockers claim it will be all flyin fly out but that sort of investment will attract a lot of activity and demand for housing , charters Towers  having 7 Excellent schools is the obvious  centre  to house people not involved in the FIFO  program.

Bowen will be in the thick of it, but the horse may have already bolted there. These approvals have been anticipated for some time and have finally happened.

Inghams location  is 20min from the beaches, has a $500mil  new sugar mill  approved, but is close to Townsville.  Been on a downer for some years  but showing signs of   recovery, having major  mining and  infrastructure commencing will impact these regional towns, as not everyone  wants to be in bigger centres who work on these projects.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.