All Topics / Help Needed! / SUBDIVSION & BUILD – Melbourne Eastern Suburbs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of dangermouse99dangermouse99
    Participant
    @dangermouse99

Hello, rather than continual chasing council im wondering of anyone can help me with these questions.

Im looking at block within Whitehouse council area that is 714sqm and thought a subdivide and build out back might be a good option with house set at front and decent access down rear. Would this be big enough to sub divide and maybe build a 2 bedder out the back. What is the min sizes both blocks need to be.

Also what would all this cost approximately including the build? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

DM

Profile photo of PRO VictoriaPRO Victoria
    @pro-victoria

Dangermouse, if you PM me the address I will look into it for you and reply in this thread without identifying the site.

Within Whitehorse Council area, the minimum lot size allowed will in most cases be determined by the Neighbourhood Character Area it is located within, but I will expand on this for you once I know the details.

@pro-victoria

DM,

Managed to have a look into the property for you. Comments below:

Property is located within:

– R1Z – Residential 1 Zone

– Area of Natural Change under Whitehorse Council Local Planning Policy; and

– Bush Suburban character area, I won't give the specific area here as it narrows down the location further.  

The Bush Suburban area is characterised by mature and large trees and shrubs many of which are native.  This particular site is not affected by any planning overlays but a number of adjacent properties are subject to the Vegetation Protection Overlays (VPO).

A quick search into the planning history of the area identifies that there has been a number of one into 2 subdivisions with new dwellings to the rear and also the odd three dwellings to a lot (removing the original house).

My thoughts are that the site is suitable for re-development maintaining the existing dwelling to the front and building a new dwelling to the rear.  There are no set minimum lot sizes.  The design would need to take into consideration the Bush Suburban character and any mature vegetation in the area.

Profile photo of dangermouse99dangermouse99
    Participant
    @dangermouse99

Many thanks for that sounds like a decent opp, just shame the auction is this week as I havent done enough due diligence to make a 100% decision.

DO u  know if there any 1 into 2 very close to that location so I could check out some examples. Be interesting whether u culd do a 3 bedder or not.

Do u have an opinion for high/best use?

Really appreciate your feedback and will keep in contact for other opps and possible future business.

Cheers

DM

@pro-victoria

DM,

I'd be interested in and be wary of what the Bush Suburban areas of Whitehorse Council will be re-zoned as under the new planning reforms however under the current R1Z zoning I am confident that you would get a planning permit for a one into two with a well designed 3 bedroom to the rear, taking into the need for an additional carpark space.  Planning history suggests that the Council would not allow two-storey developments that far south, but there are a few examples of 3 double storey dwellings on a lot further north on the same road.  

My indications from Whitehorse is that they are wary of any development more than 2 dwellings on a lot in Bush Surburban areas however there have been examples in other Bush Surburban areas where Whitehorse Council's decision has been over turned at appeal at VCAT.

I'll PM you the details of some recent examples in the area.

Thanks and I'm always happy to help!

Update from the above… had a chat with a contact within Whitehorse Council.

Bush Surburban areas are flagged to become General Res under new zoning, subject to a schedule.  This won't be rolled out until closer to the 1st July 2014.  At this stage I expect this to not have too much of an impact on what can currently be done.

A two-storey rear dwelling should be suitable, allowing for three bedrooms and 2 car park spaces… however you would need to be looking at at around 1000sqm to have 3 dwellings on a lot.

I'll pm you some nearby recent planning applications.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.