All Topics / Value Adding / Amendments to the residential zones in Victoria

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of nnngpnnngp
    Participant
    @nnngp

Hi All,

Yesterday, the new reformed residential zones were announced in Victoria. Three new zones, General Residential Zones (GRZ),Neighborhood Residential Zone (NRZ) and Residential Growth Zones were introduced to replace R1Z, R2Z and R3Z.

• How will the new reformed zones affect the current housing/development potential of the sites.
    • How long will it take before the suburbs are classified with respect to new zones.
    • What is/will-be the potential impact on the TPP/Subdivision application currently pending with the departments?

Any other general concern/comments gottcha's one should be wary of?

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi nnngp,

How long will govt bureaucracy take? Maybe check out the planning maps on land.vic.gov.au on any blocks you are looking at. I checked one of mine yesterday and it was updated on the 27th June with no changes, so I'm guessing not everything will change, or maybe just in name only…

The best thing to do if you already own land or are looking at purchasing is finding a architect/drafty who is really up to date with changes and can work with them.

The gottchas – if it's not in writing it doesn't exist.

Cheers,

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of nnngpnnngp
    Participant
    @nnngp

Hi D,

Thanks for your response.

I found this document which explains in details how and by when will the new zones come into effect. (http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/197362/AN50-Reformed-residential-zones-July-2013.pdf)

Happy reading, lol

Cheers,

K

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Lol thanks, I got excited then I realised it was only 6 pages! LOL,

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

We've put up a short summary of the changes on the web site for our town planning business:

http://www.town-planning.com.au/reformed-planning-zones-victoria

I think the biggest changes have been with regard to the Business and Industrial zones. Particularly with regard to where you can put supermarkets and offices.

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

Be careful of properties which have a heritage overlay. Chances are you will have an 8m height restriction. Will make apartments (3 level) a little difficult.

Oscar

Profile photo of PRO VictoriaPRO Victoria
    @pro-victoria

I was speaking with a contact who is a Strategic Planner with a northern Melbourne council this morning and they told me that the Council had been working on the new residential zones for over a year now and are still unlikely to have implemented the new residential zones to all areas before the 1st July 2014 cut off date.  So expect this to be a drawn out process with further changes after the above date.  They are looking to do it in stages, not one major transition which I expect most if not all Council's to do.

Also I expect there to be an increase in the number of applications coming through Council's for the amendment of a planning permit so that developers with recently approved developments affected by this change can make the most of the new zones/reforms.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the changes.  I'm hoping it will make the process a bit simpler, clearer and quicker! (one can dream) And if you have a property in walking distance from a centre or train station expect the value of property to rise over the next few years!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.