All Topics / Help Needed! / Tax deductibility on interest

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of kogepan517kogepan517
    Participant
    @kogepan517

Hi

I would like to confirm my understanding on the issue of tax deductibility on interest expense.

* I bought my PPOR for $620,000 and the loan facility amount is $496,000 (80% of purchase price).

* I have $50,000 in my offset account at the moment. Hence outstanding loan balance is $446,000.

* If I turn my PPOR into IP tomorrow and draw down my $50,000 in the offset account to purchase new PPOR, interest on loan facility amounting to $496,000 will be tax deductible? I think so.

However

* If I decide to refinance the loan before I turn PPOR into IP (assuming market value of property is $800,000, then 80% of loan would be $640,000) and turn PPOR into IP as soon as refinance is completed, will I be able to claim interest deduction on $640,000 loan or $496,000 loan? I think $496,000.

Thanks

Rick

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Rick

No hate too say you will be limited to claiming the interest on the $496,000.

Refinancing and borrowing additional funds will not be an acceptable purpose for claiming a Tax deduction on the increased interest.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Rick

Deductibility is determined by purpose.

At present, only the $496k would be deductible.

If you increased the loan to $640k – what would the additional $144k be used for? If it's used for a PPOR purchase – then it wouldn't be deductible. If it was used for IP purposes, it would be.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.