All Topics / Help Needed! / SHACK queries – equity, borrowing capability, investment opinion?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of PageyPagey
    Participant
    @pagey_1

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a shack, possibly in halves with a mate TO USE, not as an investment. It is cheap and with a spruce up would provide some equity. My question is can i use the equity in this for future investments or do banks look negatively on this?

I'm also looking at charging people to stay there so it some cases it would return an income.

Can i use equity in my IP to fund 50% of the deposit (halves with a mate)?

What do i have to look out for with shacks and investing in the future?

Plan would be to buy this, use it and gradually do it up a bit, but still buy more IP's and keep investing.

Thanks in advance.

Pagey.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

On the face of it – it is ok. However, you may need to consider other elements such as postcode/location of the property, LVR, etc. You should be able to go to 95% plus LMI. You will need to structure the application correctly and choose the right lender.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Pagey

What do you mean by a shack? Can you provide more info on the property?

Not sure if I have the same confidence as above – the words shack and 95% LVR don't look like they belong together.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

My sentiments exactly Jamie.

I had thoughts of a large rural property with a tin shed on it.

Pagey, yes you can certainly use your equity in your current IP to fund your deposit but there maybe better ways to fund the deal depending on your own circumstances.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of PageyPagey
    Participant
    @pagey_1

The 'Shack' is a tiny asbestos 3 bedroom open fire place on the west coast of tassie. Perfect for fishing, riding bikes and sipping on ales! My circumstances are ive spent all my money on my IP which is now 99% complete with available equity. Tenant moving in next week.

Ive been talking to a finance broker and its looking like we may need to put in 20% deposit, which is ok as the place is cheap (depending on purchase price).

Someone told me i couldn't use equity (in the shack) for investing as it was a shack, this has me worried. So if i brought the place for say 100k and it was worth 200k would i be able to use the equity in it to later invest?

thanks for the reply guys!

Participant
    @qlds007

Ok Pagey maybe the post code location means that you have to put in 20% deposit but i have to say i find that hard to believe.

If the property is zoned residential and is valued at 200K by a valuer then no reason why you can't access the available equity.

Course need to use the right lender in the first place.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

That is because it makes their life when the LVR is 80%. Several lenders have a no val policy at 80%. We have financed plenty of "shacks" at 95% but there may be other attributes of the property you need to look at. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @pagey_1

Thanks for the reply guys, Richard, if i give you the postcode can you tell me if it is an area where 20% deposit is required?

Why do i need the right lender? Do i need to ensure they will acknowledge the equity in the shack at a later date?

Cheers

Pagey

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Why go with a lender with a postcode restriction?

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @pagey_1

Oh ok i didn't realize they varied i thought they would all have a postcode restriction if one had one. Thanks!!

Participant
    @qlds007

Yes Pagey need a lender who does restrict and one with flexible policy when it comes to equity release down the track.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @jamie-m
    pagey_1 wrote:
    Oh ok i didn't realize they varied i thought they would all have a postcode restriction if one had one. Thanks!!

Lenders like CBA and Homeside who have a DUA with Genworth will look at deals in any location up to 95% – but the valuations still need to stack up and it can be hard to get comparable sales in certain areas.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

I have also been keenly looking at rural lifestyle blocks with 'shacks', however this is something I intend to keep at arms length from my investment affairs, 80% LVR etc. 

The idea is growing on me, somewhere to escape to, take the dirt bikes, fill the dam with red claw. 

Just haven't come to terms yet with taking on another liability, my investor mindset is challenging the idea. (Also been battered by the plummet in PM prices)

Participant
    @pagey_1

Hi Rick,

Im in the same mind, great idea but a bad investment. money could be used better elsewhere but you have got to have a bit of fun and relaxation. Especially if the place is cheap and can still gain you equity. Ive been talking myself into the idea for months!

Cheers

Pagey

Participant
    @jamie-m
    pagey_1 wrote:
    Hi Rick,

Im in the same mind, great idea but a bad investment. money could be used better elsewhere but you have got to have a bit of fun and relaxation. Especially if the place is cheap and can still gain you equity. Ive been talking myself into the idea for months!

Cheers

Pagey

If you can afford it – then why not. Sometimes we just need to treat ourselves – it might not be the best return on investment financially – but if your jungle shack is going to bring joy than who cares. It sounds like an amazing place BTW!

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @pagey_1

I like your advice Jamie haha!

I have put in an offer (low ball).

See how i go, thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers

Pagey

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

Keep us updated

Participant
    @pagey_1

Awaiting to sign the contract then i will fill you guys in :)

Participant
    @pagey_1

Hey all just reading through this. If anyone is interested i did buy this a while back now, halves with a mate 80%LVR. Have done a few things to spruce it up but its pretty much just a get away holiday place.

Heres a link to it on gumtree for rent if anyone is interested:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burnie-devonport-region/other-real-estate/granville-harbour-shack-holiday-house-for-rent-hire/1053555439

I know it wasnt an investment, but if we can make it claimable on tax and maybe make a few $$ off it why not.

If anyone has any queries about it let me know.

cheers
    Pagey

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.