All Topics / Overseas Deals / Setting up a US bank account from Australia

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of badfoxbadfox
    Participant
    @badfox

Hi guys, has anyone set up a US bank account from Australia recently? I called HSBC and they do not set up accounts for foreigners wanting to receive rental income from property. Can anyone suggest a bank that will? Thanks!

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi there, this might be better in the Overseas Deals forum

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Jayman
    Participant
    @jayman

I have been opening US Bank Accounts at Wells Fargo for clients without any problems.

I did approach HSBC going back a while ago, they did say they could open accounts for Australians in the US, but when I told them i wanted it opened in days, I was told that it would take approx 3 months with all the red tape etc, so that was that.

I hear about others having opened accounts without to much bother, and of course, others that have been told you still have to go over there and be present, but knowing the right contacts at a senior level at the bank who understand the legalities and how to go about opening the account for foreigh nationals, is a great help.

So yes, it can be done.

Thanks

Jeff

Profile photo of Joel.MacdonaldJoel.Macdonald
    @joel.macdonald

Very easy to do, takes about 14 days if you get the paperwork back on time.

Wells Fargo accounts can still be set up with our local banker with internet access, ATM cards sent to your Australian address so you can access your money in Australia.

Billpay payment facility where you can pay contractors and property managers money from your online account

Profile photo of usainvestorusainvestor
    @usainvestor

Lot's of people are now getting 'dear john' letters from Wells Fargo.

It seems anyone who opened an account without actually being physically present is having those account summarily closed and they will send you a cheque for the funds remaining in the account.

The deadline for the closure is early September.

Seems that the Patriot act the the root cause of the problem.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I have heard the same thing. My understanding is that you can open through a lawyer. A number of people have been claiming there is no problem with opening bank accounts it appears that if you do it through a marketing group you may find that you will be shut down

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of SAHSAH
    Participant
    @sah

Wells Fargo was previously setting up accounts through attorneys however this has now changed.

This is their process.

A non-U.S. citizen without a taxpayer identification number may not open or be added to a deposit account, IRA/ESA plan, Express Send agreement, or safe deposit box as an owner or with transaction authority unless they are face-to-face in a store, business, or alternative banking location or an offsite location within the United States and in the geographic proximity of the team member's home store or Business Banking location.

In other words the client must visit the US and set up the LLC in the state the LLC is registered to do business. Some allowances may be made to set up in another state but this will need aproval so its best that clients travel to the state in which they are buying to set up the accounts.

Ozforex can set up LLC accounts in the name of the LLC (not all states but in Atlanta they can). This is a way to be able to wire money home and still have a paper trail through the LLC. Most property managers would have wire capability to be able to send the US$ to ozforex and the beneficiary of the funds can be an Australian bank account.

Ideally though it would be preferable to get to the US and set up a bank account. For anyone that owns US property I believe this can be claimed as a tax deduction.

Disclaimer – Please seek professional advice for all tax and legal matters from a licensed professional. This is not advice and no liability accepted.

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Yes and Yes,

Wells Fargo has shut the doors on opening accounts for foreigners.

Very unfortunate :(

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Jayman
    Participant
    @jayman

Lot's of  turmoil at Wells Fargo it seems, I had been working with a senior person at Wells Fargo in Kansas City for a long time, and never a problem. Now he has left, it reverts right back to how it has been for most others using WF, No one wants the responsibility or even willing to consider looking at opening accounts for overseas non present investors.

So right now, I'm talking to a few different sources, and also have others on the ground there also looking into it for me, and I think I've found another Bank that might be okay with opening accounts, but you must meet their strict criteria.

Hopefully, this can be sorted out very soon.

I always say that doing business in the US, certainly has it's moments..!! But it's never dull.

Participant
    @engelorumora

How is everyone going with their accounts?

Wells Fargo wont allow wire's either unless the customer is in the country to sign the wire form.

The funds must be "bill payed" out of the account.

What a bloody joke lollol

Thanks

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Its my understanding that you just need to sign a form that will allow you to transfer a wire without being there in person

I suggest that if anyone is interested in opening an account they get legal advice before acting. There have been people here singing Wells Fargos praises when I heard months ago that Homeland security was demanding that the accounts be closed down because they were opened without correct noterizing and without authority

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of SAHSAH
    Participant
    @sah

Wells Fargo (at least in Atlanta) will not set up a bank account without clients visiting a branch.

Its still possible to do through other banks if you have the contacts. A good attorney that deals with international clients can usually help out.

Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi Karina,

They shut down every were not just in Atlanta. Caused a lot of drama for many finance companies and also investors.

Yes, attorneys tend to have relationships with smaller private banks where all decisions are kept in house.

There is no guarantee that accounts will be opened forever tho. If the words spreads and everyone start flocking to the bank eventually it could raise a few flags and then dramas again.

Thanks.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Ben GrayBen Gray
    Participant
    @ben-gray

It's definitely still possible to open a USA business bank account without being present in the USA and without the need for a co-singer on the account. 

I know of two banks that will do this. One small regional bank, the other a large multi-state US bank. 

The small regional bank will only open an account if you get your LLC from a lawyer they they have been working with for years. (Just like Engelorumora said)

The larger bank requires you to jump through a few more hoops, but still totally manageable. They'll actually let you open up to 5 accounts in total, which can be handy if you purchase multiple properties and hold them in individual LLCs.

No guarantees the accounts will stay open forever. The Patriot Act, and more specifically KYC guidelines, make things challenging and uncertain for foreign investors and their bank accounts. But the option is still on the table for the time being…

Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks Ben,

Its very frustrating if the investors open accounts and than the bank decides to shut them down. It makes things very inconvenient. 

There must be a better solution figured out for foreigners wanting to open up accounts.

I mean we are pretty much buying the whole country haha

Thanks and have a great day.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @ben-gray

Yeh, there really isn't a better solution I am aware of :( There are a couple of alternative solutions:

– Have a USD denominated account in Aus and have your agent in the US transfer any funds back every quarter or so. It's an ok solution, but not great. Gets inconvenient when you need to need to pay a bill in the USA that exceeds the money your agent may have available. A lot of other drawbacks I'm sure you could imagine.

-There are lawyers who will open accounts for you with themselves listed as a co-signer. I'm not a fan of giving ANYONE access to my funds like that. But lots of people do it without ever having a problem. You can also use a friend/family member as co-signer.

At the end of the day the best way is really just to fly over there and open some accounts in person. Bring your documents, meet the banks criteria, done and dusted.

Good luck to all :)

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Every bank in the US has to follow the Patriot act.. NO bank can just make there own rules. If they do they will get their hands slapped.

Participant
    @ben-gray

Jay – that's for sure.

For anyone who wants to really get into this here is a good link – http://www.pwc.com/en_GX/gx/financial-services/assets/pwc-kyc-anti-money-laundering-guide-2013.pdf

The real fun will be when you read the version they bring out in 6 months time that includes updated/reinterpreted/changed guidelines :)

Participant
    @engelorumora

Crazy stuff guys,

I agree the best way is to flight to the US and open the account. You can also see the product and operation first hand.

I always get from investors "its too good to be true" lollol

Thanks Ben and Jay.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

We have been able to open accounts but you generally need to use an attorney and you need id that has been notarized. The decision as to whether banks will do is this is up to individual banks. Generally your paperwork needs to be 100% to do this.

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.