All Topics / Help Needed! / Roofing problem

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

Hi all,

I have an 2 bedroom brick vendeer house in Ringwood east and my property manager recently said that my tenant is complaining about water leaking from the ceiling of toilet. After preliminary investigation, the property manager says that the whole back section of the roof is in a very unsafe and unstable condition. He has recommended that the whole back section of roof tiles need to be stripped off in order for a carpenter to prop up and stabilise the rafters underneath that appear to be the issue.

He is unable to give us an exact amount, but has said that 2 roof tilers and a carpenter would take 3 days to complete the work, plus materials. He has estimated around $6500 plus GST, allowing $500-$1000 each way as it’s hard for him to tell what issues are underneath the tiles without removing them.

Alternatively he could re-roof the complete property with new monier concrete tiles and new 2 x 1 roof battens at a cost of $14,500 plus GST. This way when the roof tiles are off it would save a lot of labour costs in storing old tiles and then putting them back on when repairs are completed.

My question is where I can get a second opinion on the matter and to ensure that the 14.5K is a realistic quotation?  Cheers John So

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Could be anything from a major repair or replacement to a flashing having broken down or moved. Has a roof plumber been called?

Hard to judge without knowing more.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

If you where just going to remove tiles to repair a truss or rafters I'm mystified why you'd need tilers for. It's hardly rocket science. If they had to recap a ridge then 1 tiler for half a day at most. 

3 days to do a repair. A roofing gang could roof a whole house in that time. 

If you have clay tiles then you're unlikely to need to reroof. Concrete tiles over 50 years almost certainly. Personally I'd redo it in colorbond rather than tiles if I had to. 

If you're going to consider a reroof get several quotes with differing materials. Most of the big roofing companies have their own contract installers. Prices are likely to be very competitive at the moment given the massive slow down in building and construction. If it's an older place a roof reno should up your val as well.

Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

Thanks both for your comments but I am based in China and given I don't know much tradesman in Oz. I ain't sure I am getting the most competitive quote from my property manager but would like a second/third opinion. Would anybody recommend a website or somebody who I can contact to inspect the roof? Really appreciate the feedback. Best to PM me. Thanks

Cheers

John

Blocked
    @freckle

Get your PM to send pics. We might be able to help you better if we can see what's going on. 

Profile photo of jenni_nextplace.com.aujenni_nextplace.com.au
    @jenni_nextplace.com.au

I agree with Freckle, get some pics of what is going on and ask for a 2 other quotes, get one from a licensed builder. Were the quotes in writing?

Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

Can somebody show me how do I upload the photos of my roofing problem into this message so that I can get some help? Thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Save the pictures to the web eg: google my drive. Then use the picture logo to upload on your response.

Blocked
    @freckle

As Scotty says upload to a storage location like photo bucket etc. Once you have it uploaded go and view the image in the stored location. You can then right click on the image and "Copy  Image URL" . Come back to your comment box here and click the image icon. Paste the URL in the entry box, click in the "width"  box and a preview image should appear. If it's all goodclick ok.

The other option is just to past URL links in the comment box here linking back to your storage site.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Id be weary accepting the advice of your PM about building structures. He's a property manager not a builder, take his advice with a grain of salt and seek a professional builders opinion. I do know of several PM's that get kickbacks and favors from builders for passing them along work. Yes that does happen. I know one who got his whole outdoor undercover entertainment area built for free for the amount of maintenance issues he gave to one particular company. 

Profile photo of freykartsfreykarts
    Participant
    @freykarts

Isn’t 14k just way too expensive? But if we are unsure, we can actually let roofing contractors to inspect and evaluate the cost themselves.

Regards,

Frey| http://www.roofingrepairsandysprings.com/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.