All Topics / Help Needed! / Ways to confirm that your offers have been passed to the vendor?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of RobertoHRobertoH
    @robertoh

Is there any bonafide  way to confirm that your offers have been passed onto the vendor?

Alternatively, is it illegal/unethical to approach the vendor directly while a property is listed with a particular agency, or directly after the listing has ended?

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

The only way is to sign a contract with a deposit. By law the have to pass on the offer. However the agent does not have to pass on a verbal or an emailed offer because it is not enforceable. With a written contract if they accept you d have to proceed. However it is important that you buy subject to finance, building inspection so that you have an out

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Roberto

Sure Nigel didn't mean to say it but the payment of a deposit is not legally required for the Contract to be valid.

The 4 elements of any contract are:

1) Offer

2) Acceptance

3) Intention of legal consequence

4) Consideration.

Course in practical terms a deposit might be useful to encourage the seller to accept the offer however is not a legal requirement.

Became a Licensed Buyers Agent during the week so i could source property for my investor clients and must admit realised a lot of what agents do is actually illegal and in breach of legislation.

Make your offer in writing and present it to the Selling Agent and request they present the offer to the Seller.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of jenni_nextplace.com.aujenni_nextplace.com.au
    @jenni_nextplace.com.au

Always provide an offer on a contract. Ask the agent to get them to counter offer. This is done by crossing out the offer on the contract you made and they will write in a new figure.  Confirms they have seen the offer. 

An agent is legally bound though to give the seller any offers unless instructed not to do so. 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

And of course a seller is not required to countersign your offer.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Written contract with 48 hour expiry is the usual tool at this neck of the woods. 

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of RobertoHRobertoH
    @robertoh
    Nigel Kibel wrote:
    The only way is to sign a contract with a deposit. By law the have to pass on the offer. However the agent does not have to pass on a verbal or an emailed offer because it is not enforceable. With a written contract if they accept you d have to proceed. However it is important that you buy subject to finance, building inspection so that you have an out

Hang on…but isn't an offer (as submitted by my lawyer, on my behalf) different from a contract?

Also, if you submit an offer via your lawyer, does that mean that the agent is obligated to present it?

I thought the process was:

• make offer (either verbal, via email, or in writing, or in writing via lawyer)

• get acceptance

• await for contract

• contract signed by both parties, thus making it binding

Is that not correct?

@robertoh

Nigel Kibel wrote:

The only way is to sign a contract with a deposit. By law the have to pass on the offer. However the agent does not have to pass on a verbal or an emailed offer because it is not enforceable. With a written contract if they accept you d have to proceed. However it is important that you buy subject to finance, building inspection so that you have an out

Hang on…but isn't an offer (as submitted by my lawyer, on my behalf) different from a contract?

Also, if you submit an offer via your lawyer, does that mean that the agent is obligated to present it?

I thought the process was:

• make offer (either verbal, via email, or in writing, or in writing via lawyer)

• get acceptance

• await for contract

• contract signed by both parties, thus making it binding

Is that not correct?

Profile photo of proprookieproprookie
    @proprookie

+1

Even a 12-hour clause is fine when you sense that your competition will be busy with DD. I know cause I lost to one sad Several weeks later, that property is back on market. Me calls agent to check – the competition couldn't get finance. Luckily, I found a better one smiley

@robertoh

Can someone please elaborate on the above points?

Thanks in advance, and thanks once again for all of your advice thusfar.

:)

Profile photo of Marty McDonaldMarty McDonald
    Participant
    @marty-mcdonald

Problem here is every state is different. Jenni in most states you don't cross things out on the contract as part of negotiations, this is only in WA from what I have seen.  You could drop your offer into the vendors property (if they live there) if you think the agent isn't passing on your offer I suppose.

Marty McDonald | Mortgage Experts
    http://mortgageexpertsonline.com.au/
    Phone Me

@robertoh

Would this be likley to get the agent offside at all?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Have someone else put in a very similar offer (on your behalf), see if it flies.

@robertoh

Sorry, I don't follow – what happens if the vendor accepts my friend's offer?!

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Roberto in NSW that is the process.

Depending on the situation as to whether I give a written or a verbal offer. If I do put the offer in writing it has an expiry date and time.

I would think though that if you didn't already have a copy of the contract then your offer was not serious.

Signing contracts with each offer is not worth my while I am looking all the time and  do not want contracts everywhere with my offer and signature on it. What if they hold it for a week and I've bought something else in the meantime? It just causes arguments.

Agents are SUPPOSED to submit all offers. The only reason they wouldn't was if they had an ulterior motive (friend wants to buy it etc). But most are honest.

@robertoh

I thought loss of face mightbeanother reason an agent might not present your offer.

ie. when the agent has promised the vendor a high price for his property, and then has the embarrassment of only having offers much lowere than that figure to present to the vendor.

In that instance, might it be less embarrassing from the agents perspective to simply to forward on such offers?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Yeah it's possible – but I dare say that a number of agents suggest that they can get an ambitious price for your property in order to secure the listing – and then suggest that it's overpriced later on and it needs to come down.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.