All Topics / Help Needed! / Nearing end of listing duration – implications for negotiating?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of RobertoHRobertoH
    @robertoh

We've been looking at a property that we think is nearing the end of its listing (nearly 90 days) – without any serious interest.

What implications does this have for us as a buyer? Is the agent more likely to pressure their vendor to accept a lower offer, in the hope that they will get a commission, and that the seller will get a sale?

Am I right in assuming that this works in our favour?

Profile photo of RobertoHRobertoH
    @robertoh

Also, what is the protocol for approaching a seller directly, after the agent's authority over the property has expired?

(is this likely to get a better price, or not – keeping in mind that the seller would no longer have to pay a comission?)

Profile photo of Ryan_vsRyan_vs
    Participant
    @ryan_vs

How do you know the lease is about to expire?

In most states, if the agent introduced you to the property, even if you purchase it once the agreement has expired and no longer listed, the owner is still liable to pay the agent commission.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Agent would most likely already be looking to relist. 

I would just take it as any other purchase. If you sense an opportunity, take it as you see it. These things don't always necessarily pan out running on assumptions.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Also depends on how desperate the vendor is to sell. If they aren't, then I doubt you could take advantage of the situation.

Do your research, figure out what the fair market value is of the property and take it from there. If the vendor isn't willing then move on.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    RobertoH wrote:
    We've been looking at a property that we think is nearing the end of its listing (nearly 90 days) – without any serious interest.

What implications does this have for us as a buyer? Is the agent more likely to pressure their vendor to accept a lower offer, in the hope that they will get a commission, and that the seller will get a sale?

Am I right in assuming that this works in our favour?

Hi Roberto

It might – but it's all speculation.

Is 90 days normal in this part of the world? If not, have a chat with the agent and ask about why it hasn't been snapped up and what feedback is he/she getting. Has their been any interest? Why are they selling – what's motivating them?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.