All Topics / Overseas Deals / Japan (and its Real-Estate market) Rides Again

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 249 total)
  • Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

God no. Flog as much as you can while you can to the foreigners. When Fukushima goes tits up you can buy it back for pennies on the dollar.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:
    to meet a Swiss banker who's bringing a group of Singaporean and Thai "filthy rich",

Agh! Pandering to the 1%. I'm disappointed Ziv :-(

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

"Pandering", "spruiking", you seem to have a very low opinion of anyone who has any dealings with clients, regardless of their honesty or transparency. Been stung by a dodgy salesman, have we? Poor freck…practice your DD skills some more, you'll be fine.

the vast majority of our clients are actually hard working or retired mom and dad types, like ourselves. But we don't discriminate, and we don't tend to automatically assume anyone who's done well for themselves is necessarily corrupt, unlike some poor paranoid souls.

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:

the vast majority of our clients are actually hard working or retired mom and dad types, like ourselves…….

…who jet in from foreign shores and who are met by their Swiss banksters. Me… paranoid… never!

Blocked
    @freckle

Ok guys… hands up those who have a Swiss banker that invites them to foreign shores to invest their hard earned.

Blocked
    @freckle
    Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks for the entertainment gents.

Just starting the day here in KC and will continue making millions $$$

*cough* *cough*

Of phone calls

hahahahahahaha

and emails haha

Have a beautiful weekend :)

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Blocked
    @freckle

How's Japans immigration policy going? It seems not well if this guys open letter to Abe and his ministers is anything to go by. It would appear Abe says one thing but deep down is just as xenophobic as the rest of Japan.

Abe and his ministers give anti-foreigner rallies tacit green light

Freedom of hate speech: Members of the anti-Korean Zaitokukai rightist group demonstrate in March outside Tsuruhashi Station in Osaka. Tsuruhashi is a largely Korean district that straddles the city's Ikuno and Tennoji wards. | KYODO

Participant
    @zmagen

Freedom of hate speech? Not really. As with all things Japanese, the wheels move slowly, but move nonetheless – 

Court recognizes anti korean activities as racist, illegal – fines activists 12 million JPY

Immigration reforms, similarly, are moving, slowly but surely, in a pace well calculated to allow the government to implement them without being thrown out of office – which is exactly the way things should be done here, due to the mentality of the vast majority of the population. I know the west likes "quick fixes" about as much as you like demagoguery and crisis alerts, freckle, but for better and worse, it doesn't work that way here. Bummer, I know ;)

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:
    Freedom of hate speech? Not really. As with all things Japanese, the wheels move slowly, but move nonetheless –

You're trying to make Japanese political processes sound different to everyone else when they're not. Difficult policy often takes more than one term in office even in the west.

Blimey that's an old one – 3 to 4 years ago. Nice try to deflect from the real issue and that is if Abe and his ministers give tacit approval through their silence on such issues one cannot take their proposed immigration policies seriously. Any potential immigrant would have to consider a xenophobic environment would or will remain alive and well. I can see them coming in their droves

Quote:
    Immigration reforms, similarly, are moving, slowly but surely, in a pace well calculated to allow the government to implement them without being thrown out of office – which is exactly the way things should be done here, due to the mentality of the vast majority of the population.

So Abe's policies are unlikely to play any real part in the delusional idea that somehow Japan can turn a maths problem into a policy problem and solve it that way. Maybe in a few decades Japan might be able to deliver a cogent immigration policy that overcomes all things xenophobic. Not in my lifetime I think.

Quote:
    I know the west likes "quick fixes" about as much as you like demagoguery and crisis alerts, freckle, but for better and worse, it doesn't work that way here. Bummer, I know ;)

Still playing the man…no

Participant
    @zmagen

No, it's not an old one, the offense was committed three years ago, the verdict passed this month (as in most court cases). Nice try with the demagoguery again.

Here's another recent one – ANTI KOREAN PROTESTERS ARRESTED IN TOKYO

Aas for immigration – "a xenophobic environment" lol – nice one. Which planet are you living on exactly? Ask anyone who's ever been to japan how "xenophobic" the environment is. :)))) I've lived in Australia and Japan both for over a decade now, and being an immigrant in both environments, I've yet to run across a single incident that would even come near the level of alien hate and abuse that I've copped in AUS, anywhere in Japan, including the most rural of areas. The worst that's ever happened to me here was someone refusing to answer my question for directions or sit next to me on the train. In Australia I've received hate mail, been verbally abused on the street, and in some cases came close to physical violence, just because I dared to speak a different language to a family member within earshot of a "true blue" Aussie. Not to berate Australia in any way, it's a great country in many respects, and I'm proud to be a citizen, but to call Japan a xenophobic country is a joke, in comparison.

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

Do you not get it?

We're talking about Abe and his government's reaction.

All countries to some extent or other are xenophobic and racist. Japan just happens to be up there with the worst offenders. How that plays out varies from country to country and minority to minority. What's at issue here is how the establishment deals with this problem within their own borders and what signal that sends to foreigners. Even after a century Japanese Koreans are still no better off than black Americans remaining second class citizens with limited rights. At least the blacks have equal rights under the constitution.

As far as the immigration debate goes I'm yet to see you put up any evidence that might remotely establish how this policy will in any way shape or form contribute to solving Japan's financial problems.

Participant
    @zmagen

Oh, I get it, a bit more than you, I think. A government doesn't need to respond to loud racist minorities excercising their freedom of speech in Japan, no more than the Australian government needs to respond to every anti-Muslim school demonstration put together by loud, racist minorities in Sydney.

the bottom line is what the majority of the population think, act upon and believe – and Japan is one of the most equal opportunity countries out there.

ANTI IMMIGRATION SENTIMENT IN JAPAN – Princeton uni sociological study

Quote:
    Table 1. % of respondents who agree with the statement that legal immigrants should have equal rights to nationals for respondents from 6 selected countries.

Japan 73.1

United States 42.1

West Germany 49.1

France 52.3

Netherlands 43.8

Switzerland 42.1

as for the effect of future immigration reforms on current financial conditions – I'll let you know as soon as the details of the reform become clear. At the moment, as usual, we're just speculating – only I admit it, and you continue to pretend you've actually got some facts to rely on. You still don't.

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

I'm wary of studies like these because they can be constructed to skew results in favor of whoever is running the agenda but lets accept this study for arguments sake anyway.

From your reference supplied above:

Table 2, estimated from the JGSS, contains the percentages of respondents who

are against an increase in immigrants among 20-60 yearolds in selected occupations.

Nearly 60% of the respondents who are in agricultural/forestry/fishery, or are

laborers/operators express anti-immigrant sentiments. Incontrast, more than 60% of

the respondents in service occupations express pro-immigrant sentiments.

So it appears that blue collar and laborers perceive immigration as a threat while white collar doesn't. Antagonists within societies are those who are for whatever reason socio-economically deprived (or threatened by immigrant groups). As the economic landscape deteriorates in Japan I would expect to see this section of society increasingly vocal.

The argument is moot in my mind because even if Japan has the best intentions to make change of this nature it will take decades and will more than likely take a generational change in mind set to be implemented effectively. The reality is that immigration policy such as this has been in motion now for several decades. There's absolutely nothing substantively new about immigration. (Source)

The immigration debate is a red herring. It's a distraction that is designed to placate the populace and suggest to them their government is proactively attacking the problems when in fact it's not. It's simply doing what it's always done and pitched it as some new initiative.

The real debate is the absurd financial policy that simply replicates the failed policies of the past 3 decades.

When the nutters in charge say they will use inflation to reduce debt then increase debt exponentially faster than inflation you know you're on a hiding to nothing.

Ziv wrote:
    as for the effect of future immigration reforms on current financial conditions – I'll let you know as soon as the details of the reform become clear

In other words you don't have a clue how this will have any impact at all.

It's pretty simple stuff Ziv. Sound immigration policy is usually focused on 4 things;

1. those who can bring capital and start businesses
    2. skill to fill holes in capability
    3. to create internal demand, and
    4. maintain a population base capable of growing the population.

While you may not speculate I will.

1. even in countries people want to migrate to like Australia the effect is miniscule
    2. Japan doesn't lack the ability to attract highly skilled individuals where necessary but this again is miniscule
    3. the most likely target of immigration given Japan's shrinking population
    4. just to sustain it's population your report suggests according to UN calculations that Japan needs to import 381,000/yr out to 2050.

So to summerise;

– over the last 50 years immigration policy has failed to stabilise population declines or meet the skilled/semi skilled demand for workers.

But of coarse Abe is different and he will be Japan's savior. Good luck with that.

Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:
    A government doesn't need to respond to loud racist minorities excercising their freedom of speech in Japan

My guess is that if you or your family where the target of this 'freedom of speech' rhetoric you might have a different opinion.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing

Participant
    @zmagen

Wrong.

as mentioned, my family and myself HAVE and occasional are being the target of such rhetoric (in Australia, mind you, not in Japan) – it may cause us to go to the police, but not to expect the government to voice an opinion – what it does do, is make us turn to the government to implement appropriate education policies (which Japan's does in spades). The governments role is not to be "a good man" and be vocal about anything – it speaks through its policies and actions, not through knee jerk reactions to every idiot on the street.

i do expect the police and the courts to react – and indeed, as seen above, they do, in Japan as well as in Australia.

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

You get an 'F' for political savvy Ziv.

Melbourne went through a period where Indians where seen to be targeted by racist elements in society. It took a steady stream of government media releases to ease the tensions and send a signal that government took peoples concerns seriously and perpetrators would feel the full force of the law. I somehow think a complaint at the local cop shop would have produced little in the way of reassuring, not only the Indian community, but other ethnic minorities that authorities took the protection of their rights and person seriously.

Abe's reluctance simply implies that his political ambitions are more sensitive to actual voters needs (protestors) than that of non native Japanese who may be the target of prejudice. From an international perspective Abe and by default Japan repeatedly miss the point when it comes to foreign sensibilities.

Blocked
    @freckle

An MSM article I know however some of the statistical information is interesting.

What happens to a country when its young people stop having sex? Japan is finding out

I've always thought Japanese culture had its fair share of idiosyncrasies but these kind of trends presents some serious problems going forward. A century or two from now (given we're still around) the Japanese may well be a case study in extinct ethnic groups.

Blocked
    @freckle

I' m waiting with baited breath as to how Abe will talk his way out of this one… Abenomics ..pfffff!!

For the 30th consecutive month, Japan ran a trade deficit and this time it was the biggest ever as

imports rose 16.5% YoY (missing the 19.9% YoY expectations by the most in 15 months) and

exports rose 11.5% (missing the 15.6% YoY expectations by the most in 14 months)...

Source

Blocked
    @freckle

Today's Chart of the Day comes by way of SocGen's Albert Edwards who in one image shows why, with gross debt issuance needs between budget funding and rolling maturities at 60% of GDP, Japan has no choice but "to print and print and print"

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 249 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.