All Topics / Overseas Deals / Japan (and its Real-Estate market) Rides Again

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 249 total)
  • Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    Freckle wrote:
    …The Ag sector has no real power and given small farmers are on average over 50 they may be willing to relinquish their hold …

Very untrue, unfortunately. Here's an explanation – FARMERS HOLDING JAPAN FREE-TRADE TALKS HOSTAGE 

Quote:
    …The number of Japanese farmers, full-time and part-time, is 2.5 million—pretty large for a country that is not a major exporter of farm products…farmers wield disproportionate clout in Japanese politics. “Because of the rural bias in Japan’s electoral system the farming lobby is very powerful, even though as a percentage of the economy it accounts for 1 percent,” says Risaburo Nezu, a former trade negotiator for Japan’s government and now a senior executive fellow at the Fujitsu Research Institute…The power behind the farmers is an agricultural cooperative called JA Group. JA dominates corn and rice trading, and runs a bank that holds $532 billion in customer deposits—almost matching Barclays’ $568 billion. The cooperative has about 10 million members, roughly 8 percent of Japan’s population…“They call it the iron triangle: JA, the LDP, and the agriculture ministry,” says Tokyo University professor Masayoshi Honma. He says reform is tough because JA, the bureaucrats, and rural politicians want to maintain their power above all else. “We can’t even force JA to get an outside auditor,” he says. “That would be a critical step” in assessing the real profits and losses of Japan’s agricultural system…

So yes, there's huge room for improvement – and unfortunately, a real danger for Abe-san's seat if he pushes this reform in any significant manner. However, as mentioned above – dismantling the farmer protection system that's been in place for the last 60 years or so is crucial to his economic reform, and has the potential of turning the sector's profits from 1% to 10%, or even more, at least on paper – not the solution to all of Japan's woes, but a darn good component of it.

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Interesting. JA Group seems to be another bankster group.

"has the potential of turning the sector's profits from 1% to 10%" I'm assuming you're meaning GDP not profits??

Doesn't make sense to me. Why would you go head to head with a politically powerful lobby group for such an economically insignificant gain? Neutering groups like this is generally done with a subtle touch like changing small things first and generating momentum over time that eventually cripples the intended target. I can only assume it's part of this TPP agreement everyone's chasing but keeping secret. The TPP agenda is being run by corporates not sovereigns and the FTA component is simply a smoke screen for corporates to acquire more market control across borders.

it looks more and more like Abe is being manipulated on this particular subject but when have poly's not been manipulated by the corporate banksters.

Blocked
    @freckle

I see Abenomics is still having the predicted as opposed to desired outcomes…

It's all those big bad Chinese fault..

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Yup, things just keep getting worse here –

NIKKEI CLOSES 2013 AT 6 YEAR HIGH

ABENOMICS TURNS JAPANESE HEDGE FUNDS INTO WORLD'S BEST PERFORMERS

Quote:
    …Japanese shares hit a new six-year closing high for the seventh straight session and posted a nine-day winning streak, it's longest one since 2009. A weaker yen underpinned gains…

…Japanese hedge funds swung from the world’s worst performers in 2012 to the best as the central bank’s reflation efforts put the benchmark Topix index on course for the biggest increase in 14 years and weakened the yen by 17 percent versus the dollar. Assets at the Japan-focused funds tracked by Eurekahedge increased $451 million in the second half of 2013, the most since the six months ended August 2011.

“Japan has come full circle for a lot of investors,” said David Baran, co-chief executive officer of Tokyo-based Symphony Financial Partners. “Many investors felt that all Japanese companies were bad investments, which was patently inaccurate. Those investors who have dismissed Japan have been motivated to come back to the market by Abenomics.”…

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @zmagen

Oh, and almost forgot –

JAPAN COMMERCIAL PROPERTY SALES HIGHEST SINCE 2007 

Quote:
    …Japan’s commercial property sales more than doubled last year to 3.54 trillion yen ($34 billion), the highest since 2007, driven by real estate investment trusts acquisitions, according to DTZ Research.

Property sales climbed to near the record high of 3.61 trillion yen in 2007 and rose from 1.72 trillion yen in 2012…

Tokyo’s real estate market is recovering as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe pushes for growth in the world’s third-largest economy. The Bank of Japan’s monetary easing policy helped drive the Tokyo Stock Exchange (1345) REIT Index by 36 percent last year, giving the trusts more room to raise equity and acquire properties…

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

My business partner in

Hawaii has a brother in law that is a major builder in Tokyo his company is publicly traded on the front page of the stock exchange… He has killed it the last few years. Now he is looking at US assets to diversify. Target 5to 7 caps on the West coast in premier locations….. LA  SF  PDX SEA.. Vancouver BC

Blocked
    @freckle

Spot on Ziv. The wealth transfer from the 99.9% to the 1% is continuing as planned.

Greece +7.7% – best week in 8 months

Portugal +4.7% – best week in 9 months

Spain +4.98% – best week in 16 months

Venezuela +475% – best 12 months eva

It's all going so well…

Ziv wrote:
    As mr Bass and his club of "if I build it (the impending disaster) it will come" hedge fund groupies continue their wishful thinking attack, Japan slowly continue to stubbornly defy them by demonstrating that revival and growth, although not easy, are still very much in the cards for the world's third largest economy.

Japanese property markets are being front run on the expectation that Abenomics would 1. BOJ printing would inflate markets like the US S&P and 2. Companies and funds would speculate on the investors who would in turn speculate on a recovery. Basically a circle jerk if ever I saw one.

The problem is:

But I'm sure all those with the required blinkers on will only see great things ahead of them.

Blocked
    @freckle

Things are getting bad. The M&A sees a Jap company Suntory buy Beam.

I'm switching to Canadian Club.. agh no I can't!. They're owned by Beam!!!

It'll have to be JD.. a fine drop too..

Participant
    @zmagen

As long as they keep their hands off my wild turkey, the can do what they want with the Js – including jay Hinrichs! ;)

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

I always thought Wild Turkey was an apt name. Boot leather soaked in bilge water then strained through a hobo's jock strap.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

I am a wine guy  So there,, and I absolutly love Aussie Reds… and some NZ whites.

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Woodford Reserve on the rocks or Johnny Black with a splash of coke.

Not at the Johnny Blue level yet hehehehehehehe

Throw in a nice vanilla cigarillo and some good company.

Ohhhh what a night :)

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Blocked
    @freckle

Pressure on Japan continues as foreign capital votes with its feet and bails on Japanese stocks. At this rate Abenomics will be dead within the month. It'll be interesting to see what the BOJ does to counter an impending Nikkie collapse…

• ….the last time flow swung so violently negative, the Nikkei ended up losing 55% in the next 18 months.

• This outflow was 3x the size of the entire selling following the tumble in May/June last year.

Participant
    @zmagen

Love how you take every positive trend, even if it's a year or seven years long, as "a temporary glitch on the way to my prophecy fulfilment", and every negative glitch as "the sign of the upcoming apocalypse which I've known was coming all along". Reality much? ;) this is sounding suspiciously like your "Abe's a goner" sing along chorus to the pre-election shananigans. Oops, almost forgot, that prophecy didn't come true either.

Here are the news from the two days following your little dance of joy –

BULLS STAND FIRM ON JAPANESE STOCKS

Quote:
    …fund managers who helped drive a rally in Japanese stocks last year say they are still bullish, citing growth in the world's third largest economy…

JAPANESE STOCKS REBOUND ON FALLING YEN, OVERSEAS TRADE

Quote:
    …The benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average gained 307.29 points, or 2.17 per cent, to end at 14,462.41 after falling 0.18 per cent on Thursday.

The broader-based Topix index was up 26.77 points, or 2.3 per cent, at 1189.14…

Exporters traded broadly higher as the yen fell against the dollar and the euro. A weaker yen makes Japanese goods more competitive overseas and improves repatriated revenues…

So let's see, the NIKKEI finished 2013 60% up in local currency and 54% up in total – then a month into the new year, it dropped app 6% (mostly following the US as far as timing is concerned), then regained about half of that back. Wow. Almost sounds like a stock market! So what exactly were you trying to say there, that stock markets fluctuate? Hold the press, folks, Freckle's got a news flash again.

This is a property investing forum, man. People here are (mostly) in it for the longer term. Save the chicken little shticks for your gold and silver buddies ;)

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

Missed the point again (sigh)… the market went boo!! and all the foreign (leveraged to the gills and more) money bolted for the corners… then the market said "hey just kidding come back and play"….. until next time.

……tick…..tick…..tick….tick….tick…tick…..   not long now…..

Presidential Palace In Bosnia Set On Fire As Riots Break Out Protesting 40% Unemployment

….and another one bites the dust…

Participant
    @zmagen

Yup, tick tick tick alright…good luck with that one :)

FRESH HARVEST OF WIDOWS IN THE WIDOW-MAKER TRADE

Quote:
    …investors have called the top in the Japanese bond market for years, only to get impaled”

This has been going on for over 20 years now, and yet people have been crushed by the trade over and over again…

"The definition of insanity is to engage in the same activity over and over gain, expecting results to be different this time around", I believe you were saying? By all means, carry on ticking.

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:

"The definition of insanity is to engage in the same activity over and over gain, expecting results to be different this time around", I believe you were saying? By all means, carry on ticking.

Exactly.. I challenge you to find any one with an ounce of sanity running this show.

Blocked
    @freckle
    Participant
    @zmagen

Yup, the grim reaper is knocking at our doors here alright –

BLOOMBERG VIDEO – JAPAN IS ASIA'S HOTTEST PROPERTY MARKET

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

Yep CRE is bubbling away while RRE barely simmers. You and I both know it takes foreign money hot off the presses and BOJ bond buying to the moon and back to get the Japanese economy to show even small signs of life. 

The hot speculative money will juice the market here and there until they think they've got all they can from it and when it goes away again as surely as it will then those holding the bag will wonder what happened.

We also know how this ends once the parties over. The hangover will be a doozy.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 249 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.