All Topics / Help Needed! / What pre-requisites are needed to obtain a builder’s license?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MikkoMikko
    Participant
    @mikko

Hi guys,

I'm playing around with the idea of developing a block of land here in QLD sometime down the track. I am currently a qualified formwork carpenter. Does anyone know what requirements are needed to be met in order to obtain a builders license? I want to be able to do a bulk of the work myself, and subcontract the remainder out.

Thanks,

Mikko.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Hey mate.

As a minimum.

Certificate 4 in building and construction (Can do at HIA or MBA) i think they have a discount due to government giving out education currently. 

and 2 projects if you already have you carpenter qual.

I think its 4 projects otherwise.

A project is a different site.

if you built a duplex even though you did the work for both houses. It would only be one project.

Your qualification as carpenter will help you alot, should be able to get it in under a year. or if you did a fast track cert 4. Make sure it has the finance and legal modules.

Participant
    @wilko1

and written references from 2 registered builders you have worked under. if you have only worked for the same company. a list of projects and jobs you have done.

Participant
    @wilko1

and then you can go sit your test

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If you are looking at going owner-builder, there is a short course which covers the requirements (at least in NSW).

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

HI Mikko

I used to teach the Cert 4 in Building and Construction. It's not a prerequisite, BUT, it is favorably looked upon and you will learn other aspects of building – such as how to prepare a contract, understanding the law governing the industry and how to prepare the required documentation to the building board. In Victoria they have been ruthless on anybody that made a mistake on their submitted dummy building contract to the point where they made the applicant re sit that section of the course (usually at Master Builders Australia).

Having a carpentry background helps you. Call the board in your state and go from there.

Cheers

Oscar

Profile photo of MikkoMikko
    Participant
    @mikko

Great. Thanks for your help guys!

Mikko.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.