All Topics / Value Adding / Concrete patch and paint or resurface?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of spoonicusspoonicus
    Participant
    @spoonicus

Hi, I have a nearly finished renovation project in Seaford, Vic and was looking for some advise. We bought for 310 k and have spent just over 20 k on it so far.  

In the back yard I have a fair amount of concrete, with some holes where there was a garden bed, and some that had to come up to fix some plumbing. It has been patched in the past when previous owners wanted to change the layout. There is also a concrete path out the front that need to be repainted from the existing red colour. 

I think that the best bet would be to patch and paint it as we will rent it out when we are finished, my wife thinks we should resurface as throughout the job everything has been fixed the right way.

What do the wise heads at propertyinvesting.com think?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

How much would it cost to resurface throughout?

Would the value of the property increase by more than that amount? Will you receive more rent from it?

If the answer  is no – I wouldn't bother.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of spoonicusspoonicus
    Participant
    @spoonicus

Thanks Jamie. 

I figure the rent wont increase but I always have problems with what will make a property's value go up/ or by how much. I understand the biggie's are kitchen and bathroom. I will  get some prices and go from there.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I'm with you – kitchen and bathrooms are a couple of big ticket items when it comes to value add. I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend too many dollars on external concreting. 

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It is pretty hard to resurface concrete effectively. What do you mean – adding 2" of concrete topping? There is always a risk of it becoming drummy and lifting, cracking due to lack of reinforcement, increased height due to topping etc.

You might consider patching and then applying a textured epoxy surface finish eg brick pattern etc. This is cost effective and may lift your rental appeal as well.

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

^ ^ What Scott said. Adding extra concrete on top is risky without proper reinforcement.

Maybe put some photo's up so we can all see?

Oscar

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

We resurfaced our motel driveway with stencilcrete, charcoal with black flecks, looks great, but after a few years it lifts at the edges and joins here and there, and gets drummy in places anywhere water can penetrate, very difficult to get a 100% bond everywhere. But can be patched and painted. Stencilcrete over existing concrete takes weeks to complete properly, and is weather sensitive during some processes, so allow for further delays.

However, for tenanting purposes, I'd take less trouble and expense. Holes could be concrete filled, patched, painted or paved as a feature. 

Good luck

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @spoonicus

Thanks for the responses, patch and paint here I come

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Seaford is my neck of the woods :)

Have you considered decking tiles? Although they would require to be restained every couple of years

Participant
    @spoonicus

To be honest I don't know a lot about  it. When I was in Masters today I had a quick look and it seemed expensive, plus being a carpenter I could build a low profile deck that would look much better.

I don't want to increase the height at all but really like the suggestion as it isn't something that would have crossed my mind.

The joys of being in a forum!

P.S I'm calling the concreter tomorrow as I have just finished a carport that also needs to be concreted. 

Thanks

Profile photo of OzmanOzman
    @ozman

If you are only looking at 2 inches might be better to pave over it with nice paving patern also better where services are under.

Profile photo of BoughtWithEquityBoughtWithEquity
    Participant
    @boughtwithequity

I'm not sure how large an area you are talking about….or how many or how large the holes are…but you could patch the holes with regular concrete mix first.  Allow that to cure and harder…then clean & prep the rest of the concrete with a pressure washer.  Not sure this product is available in your market but I've used Quikcrete Concrete Resurfacer on a bunch of projects with good results.  You can do it yourself in small sections. I've used this product for driveways, patios and sidewalks all with good results here in Atlanta, GA USA.  Here's a video link to give you an idea:  http://youtu.be/nIEll-lmsQE

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.