All Topics / Help Needed! / I’m a newbie! What structure setup to start property investing in Adelaide???

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of Josh_PJosh_P
    @josh_p

Hi all.

I have read Steve's books over a year now and have really wanted to start property investing so have decided to pull my finger out and just do it.

Anyways I live in adelaide and am wondering what the best trust structure to setup would be. The reason I mention adelaide is a have read that certain banks don't lend to certain structure and this varies from state to state.

My questions are…

1.What would be the best trust structure to setup? (Considering that I have nothing setup so far)

2.Can anyone recommend someone in adelaide who sets up structures particularly for property investing? (E.g an accountant who does a fair price)

3. Which banks are known for lending to trusts for property investing and who would be a possible mortgage broker in adelaide to speak to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Mortgage Broker in Adelaide – try Corey http://www.xlfinancial.com.au

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Josh

Welcome aboard.

It's hard to comment on what structure, etc is best for you based on the limited info.

Adelaide is fine when it comes to lenders. Restrictions on areas generally occur for rural/remote post codes as well as some high density units in metro locations.

Why do you need to set up a trust? I'm not saying it's right or wrong – just wondering why you think you need to.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Josh_PJosh_P
    @josh_p

Thanks I will definitely have to look them up.

@josh_p

Could you tell me  a specific lender which in your opinion would be a good one to start with. Also one which might be willing to work with someone who hasn't got a lot of capital behind him but has some good ideas :)

with the trusts I just thought that it offered more asset protection and tax benefits. The hard thing is working full time in my job and trying to piece together all the information to start property investing without losing money (especially with a family)

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Josh_P wrote:
    Could you tell me  a specific lender which in your opinion would be a good one to start with. Also one which might be willing to work with someone who hasn't got a lot of capital behind him but has some good ideas :)

with the trusts I just thought that it offered more asset protection and tax benefits. The hard thing is working full time in my job and trying to piece together all the information to start property investing without losing money (especially with a family)

Hi Josh

It's impossible to provide any specific advice in regards to which lender you should approach with such limited info. Best to give Corey a buzz.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

What structure is like asking for what is the best medicine
    We need to know the symptoms first

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

If your could list your financial position. Ie equity, cash, incomes, how many kids. It would give a better picture for people to comment on a structure that would be appropriate. It then would depend on the type of property you would be buying. You might not want to place a highly negatively geared property with high growth opportunity in a trust. Simply because of negative cashflow that might not be realized for years. It depends on your situation. 

@josh_p

Hi, thanks for the input I really appreciate it.

my situation is…

I am 27 married with 2 kids under 2.

I have a unit joint owned with my wife with a mortgage of $230,000 which we are paying off.(roughly $425 a fortnight in repayments). Also the interest rate is locked at %8.15 till may 2015 (a huge mistake that I still kick myself over; I didn't know anyone to ask advice from when I did it)

I rent out the unit to my parents for $500 a fortnight and rent their house of them for $600 a fortnight.(my unit is 2 bedroom and their house if 4 bedroom; we needed the space for the kids)

I earn about $65000 a year gross. My wife earns about $9000 a year from centrelink.

we don't save a lot at the moment because our budget is tight. However I do expect to get a nice tax return $5k-$10k. Which I want to invest. I want to do wise investments with low upfront capital and positively geared. With interest rates as low as they are I would think that creating a positively geared property is more attainable.

Also I beleive that my lending power would be better through a trust. I'm not sure any advice would be great.

@josh_p

Check my reply below. I'm not sure if it suffices as symptoms but that's my situation. Any advice will be taken gratefully!

Participant
    @wilko1

Your lending power will be the same if its though personal or through a trust. You cannot do what some books advised you to do in the past. In setting up a trust with your wage as income security and then when you reach borrowing maximum capacity, set up another trust and repeat. The banks are smarter now and credit checks can pull up your debts from everywhere. Plus you didn't have to declare if you were guarantor over debts, which shows up now. 

What is your estimated current resale value of your unit? 

@josh_p

I would estimate that my current resale value of the unit is $260k at the least. I live in a group of 37 and 2 years ago one sold for $280k. Whilst others have put themselves on the market for 250-260 in the last year.

@josh_p

Sorry I should have written this in the first post.

what if you find a place and do all the figures factoring in the cost of the property and how much rent you would get and found it positively geared, present that to the banks ; shouldn't they then not worry about your income and all that.

am I to optimistic? :)

Participant
    @wilko1

Even if you found a positively geared property it would have to be around 9-10 percent yield. Banks only consider on average 80 percent with some less and some smaller ones more. 

You currently don't have much if any available equity in your current unit. 

I would focus on building up a deposit for your first property. A 200k house purchase is going to need at minimum 12.6 percent of purchase costs to afford it. 5 percent stamp duty 5 percent deposit and 2.5-2.6 percent LMI at 95 percent providing not rural or remote areas.  That's 25k. 

Look at your family budget and as a suggestion if you work during the day. Perhaps your wife could look to get a evening job. If you use your wage to live and your wife was earning 500 a week in a casual job you will have a deposit saved up in a year. IIf you are getting tax back put that in as your initial amount. 

Consider strategies where you might add value to the property after purchase in which you could potentially draw out some equity to repeat or to increase your rent 

Participant
    @wilko1

80 percent of rental income *

@josh_p

That's sounds like good advice. I am also considering going into partnership with my dad to buy a property as he has more borrowing power.

if I were to do that would it be better to do that in a unit trust?

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

You would need to get specific advice on that. Unit trusts are handy in that income splits are clearly defined and can be transferred between parties (for instance if your father wanted to sell out in the future), (Family) Discretionary Trusts give a lot of flexibility for certain scenarios too.

Thanks to the guys in the thread recommending my services, happy to sit down with you Josh and have a chat about your goals and how to achieve them.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Josh welcome to the forum and i hope you enjoy your time with us.

As Terry mentioned you need to work out where you want to go long term before you decide what you need short term.

You mentioned you have limited upfront cash funds and therefore depending on serviceability you may have to look at a 100% standard loan.

We deal with a couple of new lenders who are now looking at this market and we are trialing the facility for them.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@josh_p

Hi qlds007

I feel as If I a getting great advice and everyone has been quite friendly.

A %100 loan is something I have never heard off. It sounds too good to be true. Is there a catch, like a higher interest rate than normal or interest only repayment or something like that.

I would really be interested to hear the details about this option.

cheers.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Josh_P wrote:
    Check my reply below. I'm not sure if it suffices as symptoms but that's my situation. Any advice will be taken gratefully!

STill not enough detail to answer.

This is like trying goolge for medical advice. A sore stomach may be indigestion or it may be an appendix for example.

Is also not just a matter of determineing tje name of a structure but how to structure the structure. E.g you may think you need to set up a discretionary trust but who should be trustee. If a company who should be director who should be shareholder. How many shares what type of shares. Constitution or none. Terms of constution. Sharehokder agreements. What happens with loans. How to minimise guarantees.

With the trust who shoukd be appointor who backup appointor. What terms of the trust. Any restrictions on trustee benefiting. Any stamp duty implications on changing trustee. What about adding “partners” down the track. Can it be done and how.

What happens on your death?

What happpens onyour incapacity? Do you have a power of attorney? Could this attorney take control of you trustee company and or the role of appointor?

ETc etc

THis is why you need legal advice in setting up a structure. Find a lawyer with a spell checker.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.