All Topics / Help Needed! / Subdivision of lot and build another at the back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Nue1Nue1
    @nue1

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a house with enough land at the back, subdivide, and build another house or duplex there.

Did some research on council for building dual occupancy but didn't really understand the clause:

"3) Where, in accordance with this plan, development for the purpose of a dwelling-house may be carried out on an allotment of land to which this clause applies, a person may, with the consent of the Council, carry out dual occupancy development on the allotment.

(4) The Council must not consent to development referred to in subclause (3), unless:

(a) the area of the allotment on which the 2 dwellings are to be erected or created:

(i) in the case of land within Zone No 1 (c1), is not less than 2 hectares, or

(ii) in the case of land within Zone No 1 (c2), is not less than 4,000 square metres, or

(iii) in the case of land within Zone No 2 (a) or 2 (c), is not less than 600 square metres for attached, and not less than 800 square metres for detached dwellings, and

(b) it is satisfied that adequate arrangements have been made for:

(i) the removal and disposal of waste from each dwelling, and

(ii) the supply of water to, and the disposal of sewage and stormwater from, each dwelling, and

(iii) the privacy of the occupants of each dwelling and any adjacent development, and

(iv) access to natural light for each dwelling and for any adjacent buildings, and

(v) off-street car parking for each dwelling.

"

Questions are (If I understand them all correctly):

1. 2 dwellings mean 1 existing house, and another house at the back? Can it be 1 existing house and a duplex at the back?

2. Say a land is 600 sqm, I cannot build another house at the back, but if a land is 800 sqm I can build another one at the back?

3. Say a land is 800 sqm can be subdivide to 2 lots front and back and build a duplex at the back?

Thanks in advance.

Nue1

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Which state or council is this?

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

We need to the know zonings. So the name of the relevant council will help here.

Oscar

Profile photo of Nue1Nue1
    @nue1

Hi all,

This is in Mudgee. I'm planning to start my portfolio there. Quite a challenge I think.

Anyone can explain me what's the clause mean?

Thanks.

Regards,

Nue1

@nue1

Anyone help please?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Attached dwellings are dwellings that share a wall.  So it is saying that if your land is 600m2 or more, you could build say a duplex.

Detatched dwellings are dwellings that do not share any walls.  So it is saying that if your land is 800m2 or more, you could build two separate houses/dwellings.

If you wanted one house plus a duplex, I would imagine that you would require 400m2 (half of 800m2) for the house, plus another 600m2 for the duplex, so you would need 1000m2 in total.  That's what I think, if you combine the understanding of the other all the rules you mentioned.

Of course, there will be other council rules you have to comply with and you must make an application which may or may not be approved.  In other words, it is not a guarantee that just because your land is the correct size you will be able to build what you want.  For example, there might be an easement under the ground that you are not allowed to build on top of. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@nue1

Thanks JacM

That's all make sense now.

Coming from a non english background sometimes these confuse me a bit.

Regards,

Nue1

@nue1

Just found this in the new current Development Control Plan 2013 for Mudgee Mid-Western Council:

"All dual occupancies must have direct street frontage; that is no dual occupancy can be

developed in a battleaxe arrangement."

Does this mean that, development for another dwelling at the back of the existing dwelling is impossible????

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.