All Topics / Value Adding / How to pretty up a bathroom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of zorrohdzorrohd
    @zorrohd

Woohoo!!

This weekend my partner HotRod and I get access to our new IP!!   So now the hard work starts for the next couple of weeks, and my biggest concern is the bathroom.  It's pretty ugly, with bad coloured bath, worn shower base, and some tiles that look a bit dodgy ie could fall off at any stage. I went to Bunnings, and they have a good range of tile and enamel paints to fix these areas, however I want to ensure I prepare the existing as well as I can to avoid problems. Like making sure it is waterproof, grout in reasonable condition, etc before I do any painting. 

do we scratch out the bad grout then re-grout, and same with silicone? If so, is there any easy way to do this?  What other prep for painting tiles, shower base and bath?  Or is this whole plan just false economy and we should just rip out the whole bathroom including sheeting and start again?  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

I didn’t think zorro mentioned smsf?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Joe – I'm pretty sure it's an SMSF acquisition – I've spoken to Claire previously wink

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel
    Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Claire

Please tell me you are not referring to a SMSF acquistion that is not yet settled let alone unconditional?

Can't say the ATO would consider it responsible use of a SMSF's monies paying for repairs or improvements on a property that has not yet settled (and worse, not even unconditional).  Careful, if you do something the ATO does not like, they have the power to force you to sell the asset and close the SMSF, and not let you ever open a SMSF again.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of zorrohdzorrohd
    @zorrohd

Thanks for your words of warning, Jacqui. I have forwarded your comments on to my accountant for his expert advice.  Assuming you are right, I'll just defer the works. Problem solved. 

Practical suggestions for bathroom Reno, anyone?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.