All Topics / Legal & Accounting / How hard is it to change accountants?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Hi Everyone,

Called up the accounting firm today to make a booking to do my BAS, receptionist told me she no longer works here. Would have been nice to be told weeks ago!

I'm now thinking of changing accountants, how hard is the process? Does the new accountant request files from the old accountant or is that my job to transfer all the paper work. I've got multiple properties and a business with the accountant so if it's too messy i may have to stay put.

Was hoping to find out from the forum before i start ringing around.

Profile photo of Made_ManMade_Man
    Participant
    @made_man

Not hard at all i. I changed mine last year, no issues. He even resubmit some of my old returns that the last accountant messed up. I did however have all my past paperwork

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Shouldn't be too hard – just take in your last two years of financials so they can see what's been done previously.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of akagrpakagrp
    Participant
    @akagrp

It should not be hard at all, as long as no fees are outstanding to old accountants, changing to a new firm should be straight forward. New accountant will write a letter requesting all information/records be provided to them in the event the client has not already been provided the records. The new accountant should also be able to access certain tax information directly from ATO

Just a note if lodging BAS’s via accountant you should be safe as March BAS has to 27/5/2013 to lodge and pay

When selecting a new firm I would recommend you always ask to also have access to a partner/director, as they are less likely to move as much as staff.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Joe don't be ringing around – ask for recommendations on the forum.  No need to trial someone.  Just take on a proven accountant based on the recommendations of others. wink

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.