All Topics / Help Needed! / Choices Choices SUBURB choices!! Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of samgoudasamgouda
    Participant
    @samgouda

Hi All, 

I am looking at apartments in the west of Sydney. My preferences are between Guildford, Merrylands and Granville (due to my budget). 

Although these suburbs are very close to each other … is there any reason why i should favor one over the other?

I have been receiving mixed reviews and was wondering whether i should concentrate more on the suburb? Or the timing of my purchase and staying under the suburb mean.

My sole purpose for investing in property in capital growth. So my question is, although these suburbs are tightly close, would there be a favored preference over the other because of forecasted growth?

Please share your thoughts people ! Much appreciated =) 

Thank you all in advance. 

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Whats your budget? Also avoid Guildford. Stick with Granville and Merrylands.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of samgoudasamgouda
    Participant
    @samgouda

Early 300k. 

Why avoid Guildford? 

Regards,

Sam

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Which one is the most convenient to commute to Sydney daily (for the stock-standard day job) by train?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @samgouda

All three have train stations which are equally easy to commute into Sydney city, and also have Bus services to Parramatta. 

I guess people's judgment could be demographic ? Im not sure really .. confused confused 

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

1. All three have train stations but Merrylands and Guildford are not on a direct line to the city however Granville is. 

2. Guild ford is very industrial albeit its changing but my 2 cents is that it is seriously oversupplied. Council has made it extremely easy for every man and his dog to built units or duplexes. 

3. Granville is a different story and it is my preferance over the other 2.

4. Also if this is for investment – why these areas? Why not buy a house a little further out with scope to create dual income at a later stage?

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @samgouda

HI Shahin, 

Thanks for that. 

I have been looking further out west for houses, but for my first purchase i have decided to stick to these areas and stick with a unit. I am looking at buying very soon so i can take advantage of the IR. Because of this, im more inclined to have a neutrally geared investment. 

Im really confused because with Granville and Merrylands, alot of the apartments are proving to be negatively geared big time! Some how Guildford is proving otherwise. (Bearing in mind my strategy is capital growth). This is why i am such a troubled child =P  

You do make a point with the over supply. 

Although there is an over supply now, wont making Guildford more residential drive housing prices up? Or because of over supply and forecasted oversupply drive housing price down? (Competitive market maybe?)

Regards, 

Sam 

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

What is "IR"?  

Also you say Guildford is not negatively geared – how are you calculating this exactly because it doesn't sound right to me.

If there is an over supply why do you think this will drive prices up?

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @samgouda

IR, Interest rate … sorry 

I wont get into to much detail on how i calculated it because its pretty lengthy to type, but it includes factors such as Rent, Council, Strata, Mortgage repayments based around the interest rates of today, management %, other fees. (A Steve Mcknight Templete)  

I believe if there is an over supply it will make the market more competitive, thus equaling a drop. Although what ive been told is because it Guildford is very industrial, having "zoning" and having more residential properties in the suburb drive prices up ? (this is what confuses me) 

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I will buy you a 6 pack if you can find a unit in Guildford that is not negatively geared.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @samgouda

Alot in Guildford have been very close to neutrally geared but this one in particular is surprisingly.  

What are your thoughts on the last part of my question?

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I just don't believe they are mate – I think there is something thats not right in your calculations.

I didn't understand the last part of your question – what do you mean by 'having zoning'? What type of zoning in particular?

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I would go with Granville since it has the easiest commute with Sydney. But one questions: Why did you decide to invest in apartments? Why not go with a house?

Profile photo of oceansoceans
    Participant
    @oceans

Hi,

i worked in the emergency services in this area for a few years (parramatta, guildford, Granville, etc). Wherever you decide, I would suggest dropping in to the local police or fire station and asking about the place. My experience is that from street to street it can be very different. Merrylands was always a little quieter and most of the car fires in the middle of the night were in Granville. 

Hope I havnt confused you mate, good luck

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Personally i wouldn't buy a unit if i was thinking of eventually renting it out as capital growth is going to be limited and cost are going to be higher.

Yes i do buy units but only when i buy the whole block.

What are going to do if there is no Capital Growth ?

I am great believer of buying for yield as that is tangible and can be banked each month. 

Capital Growth relies on too many factors of which you have little control unless you manipulate yourself.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.