All Topics / Help Needed! / To travel to or not to travel to? That is the question.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of MikalHowardMikalHoward
    Participant
    @mikalhoward

Hi PI peeps,

I currently live in Adelaide so I'm wondering what options I have, other than spending a lot of my hard earned savings to travel there, do i have to check out houses in my target suburbs in Qld? How do other Property Investors do it? I'd love your feedback.

I'm almost thinking it's a case of having your deposit amount in one account then put together another account for travel amounts. Is anything tax deductible when researching PI options interstate?

Cheers all.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Mikal

You'd need to check with your accountant but you might find you cannot claim travel unless you are already an active investor.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Mikal

As JacM quite correctly states regretfully you cannot claim travel expenses to go and look at property area you are thinking of investing in.

Not sure why you would spend considerable dollars to go on a road trip half way across the country to an area where you are unfamiliar with as there is a limited amount of information you can get in a weekend.

In my opinion you are better of engaging the services of a Professional more local to the area in which you are looking at and getting them to source the property for you.

Done properly the cost can be Tax deductible from day 1 rather than being added to the cost base of the property when you sell as is the case with a buyers agent.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of MikalHowardMikalHoward
    Participant
    @mikalhoward

I am an active investor. I have 2 IP's in South Australia already. 

Are there any suggestions of who to contact and chat to then about properties interstate? 

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Mikal

While you might already be an active investor, you don't yet have an investment "in that area".  Different story if you already had another IP in the same town that you needed to visit for some reason.  Perhaps you need to swing by to check some damage with your own eyes and authorize your Property Manager to arrange tradies to fix it, for instance.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Let me know what you are after might be able to help further.

I am based in Western suburbs but have properties all over Brisbane.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.