All Topics / Help Needed! / Rent Reduction

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of beaka84beaka84
    Participant
    @beaka84

Hi,

I have a tenant who is requesting a rent reduction from $700 a week down to $600 as the rental market has decreased in the area. They are on a fixed term 12 month lease due to expire in August. They haven't yet missed any payments but have also claimed they are struggling financially. The rental market in the area has decreased and if the house were to be relet now the rent would likely be $550-600 a week. Given the number of rentals in the town in the last 6 months has increased significantly I'm not sure if its worth just giving them this decrease in the hope of keeping them following the expiration of this lease term when the rent returns are possibly going to be lower in the medium term. Should I offer them the reduction on the proviso they extend their lease by another 6 months or just keep the current lease in place and hope they continue to pay?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Beaka

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

The tenant is on a fixed term lease which does not expire until August.  It's all well and good for tenants to cry poor mid lease, but rest assured they will never call you voluntarily mid lease and say hey you know what, I see on the news interest rates went up, and I feel sorry for you, so I tell you what, I'll pay a higher rent, effective immediately.  The purpose of a fixed rent is to enable the tenant to budget.  And you as the landlord do not necessarily put the rent down the second interest rates go down, because sometimes you need a buffer if the interest rates go up again.  Additionally, perhaps you are locked into a fixed interest rate anyway.

As such they are obliged to honour their agreement.  If they choose to default, the following income streams are available to you:

1.  Keeping their bond

2.  Claiming rental default on your insurance (presuming you have appropriate landlord insurance)

3.  VCAT or equivalent

A bit before 60 days prior to the lease expiry, you'd be talking to your property manager about whether you'd like to offer a new lease term to the tenant, and if so at what price.  You would take into account the property manager's advice (which should be backed up with reasons) coupled with your own knowledge.  If indeed at that time the rental market is slow and prices have gone down, you will almost certainly need to put the rent down.  $100 a week is a huge incentive for someone to move house.  Unless there is something super special that your property is offering, you're in the mosh pit with the other landlords, offering your product to the market.

In summary, if it were me, no way in heck I would be putting the rent down mid lease.  Unless I was in a real spot and had invested in a town where there was no other way I could get a new tenant at the end of the lease.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Perhaps meet them halfway. Drop the rent partially or in 60 days maybe. This may keep them happy and mean less likely to leave…

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

I'd go with Terry but conditional. I'd do $50 now and another 50 at lease expiry on the condition of a further 12 month extension. 50 now costs you basically 2 weeks rent. Small price to pay for what could be an empty rental and a subsequent price drop of 150 plus fees. 

Profile photo of beaka84beaka84
    Participant
    @beaka84

Thanks for the reply JacM, TerryW and Freckle.

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

I would agree with Terry, from my point of view I have noticed rents decrease (only talking about melbourne).

if you can extend here lease as well that would be great but I am also thinking this

why are rents decreasing in your area? Why are there so many houses for rent?

In the future do you rents increasing or decreasing further in turn affecting cash flow?

The Market is changing pretty quickly, a few people from work rent in Richmond (Victoria) most of them where paying 700 + a week in rent but they are now seeing houses ten for 400 to 500 a week.

Just ensure you Monitor the long term maker as well. 

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

Terry and Freckle, I'd go with the partial drop too. Good call Johann as well to keep an eye on the market.

Jacqui is right in the points that legally you don't have to do anything, but happy tenants pay bills on time.

The other suggestion I would add is how is the market going for sales in your area? Are there more rentals because more people are choosing to buy rather than rent? Might be worth talking to an agent about what sort of sales price you would achieve.

I know – half the room just sucked in a breath when I said sell – but as a wiser person once said, sell when you can do something better with the money.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Why would you drop the rent in the middle of a lease (don't know if that's even possible anyway). It's a contract.

Do you often throw away $2000???

So if rents went berserk and jumped up $100 a week in the middle of a contract do you think you'd have any chance of upping it? Of course not.

this is business.

Tell them you'll gladly drop it at the end of their contract (lease). They can then sign another one at the lower amount.

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Normally I'd say stick with the signed lease, but I notice you say the market rent is probably now around $550-$600 a week.

If it were me, I'd offer a reduction of $50 – $75 a week (Still above market) with the tenant signing a 12 month lease from the date of the rent change.

It's not a s much as you were getting , but it's above market, and extended for another 7 months or so.

Blocked
    @freckle
    Catalyst wrote:
    Why would you drop the rent in the middle of a lease (don't know if that's even possible anyway). It's a contract.

Do you often throw away $2000???

So if rents went berserk and jumped up $100 a week in the middle of a contract do you think you'd have any chance of upping it? Of course not.

this is business.

Tell them you'll gladly drop it at the end of their contract (lease). They can then sign another one at the lower amount.

An emotional reaction not a rational one. Rents are decreasing in this area and a relet is scheduled for six months. In that time rents may have dropped further because the trend is down and no immediate driver to reverse that trend as this point. So currently one can assume a $100 reduction is almost a given to stay competitive and that $150 is a probable. $200 is an outside possibility but still possible over the next 6 moths. Time will tell. 

You loose $1200 now knowing you could loose as much as an additional $10 000/yr (assumes a $200/wk reduction) over and above an almost certain $100 reduction. 

The tenant is under some financial duress and in all likelihood will be forced to walk at the end of this tenancy if a counter offer can't be made. The reality is that to relet in a falling market is perilous to say the least. Two weeks vacancy will cost $25/yr. Add reletting costs and that could easily climb to $50/yr. If your forced to drop $200 to acquire a tenant then you could be out a total of $12500 for the next cycle.

50 now plus 50 on anniversary at least keeps the rent at the high end of the market. Sticking to your guns could see you forced to the bottom chasing a new tenant. 

As they say, "better the devil you know than the one you don't".

Blocked
    @freckle
    Freckle wrote:

As they say, "better the devil you know than the one you don't".

They also say, "that one in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Beaka,

A fair bit of information missing at this stage.

Where is the property?

Why is the rental market dropping?

Is this a short or long term matter with current trends an indicator of a bigger issue manifesting itself in a rental oversupply?

What is your property manager saying about the rental market outlook?

Cheers

Profile photo of beaka84beaka84
    Participant
    @beaka84

Thanks for all the replies!

Derek the property is in Emerald.

Medium to long term I think rents will rise again, hopefully sooner rather than later! The value of the property has also likely fallen ~$30-40K in the last 12 months, but I believe long term prices will rise. In it for the long haul so the sort term corrections are not keeping me up at night just yet!

Based on what's happening there at the moment, I think Freckle is on the money here.

Beaka

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Beaka,

Thanks for the update.

Do you know what has caused the oversupply issue? Is it too many properties being built or a reduction in employment opportunities or a combination of both?

Are there expansion plans with accompanying increases in employment levels in the pipeline? Without this, you may be seeing the early indicators of a longer term problem – now I'll be the first to admit that I don't know enough about Emerald at the moment to comment with any degree of accuracy so all I am doing is posing questions for you to consider.

But if you see this 'oversupply' as a blip rather than an early indication of a long term trend then a temporary reduction in rent accompanied by an extended lease as per other posters suggestions may be in order.

Have you considered what your new lease will look like if rents head northwards again in 6 months time? Will your tenant ring you and ask for the rent to be increased – probably not. Maybe consider inserting a 'right to increase rent' clause in your updated lease.

Participant
    @jpcashflow

My gut feeling is this, If the tenant is struggling finically right now then "there are signs" that they might look else where in AUGUST.

So maybe reducing the rent for the time being is a good idea but as the guys suggested ask for a 6 month extension on the agreement.

If the tenant does not agree to this then this is a sign that their intentions are to leave any way.

Monitor the situation close….

Also maybe you can do something like this:

Current rent is $700.00

Tenant wants to pay $600.00

Difference: $100.00

Total bond (2 months rent) – not to sure how yours is eg: $5600 (BOND)

Total difference between now and end of lease: $2000 (Out of your pocket) – Maybe an agreement can be made where $2000.00 from the lease gets deducted from the Bond and straight to your pocket at end of lease.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jpcashflow

PS i managed to get a 50% lease reduction on our shop i was only 2 years into our 6 year lease lol so anything can happen!!!

PS I didnt even use a solictor hahaha

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

If they are really struggling financially, I would drop rent by 40-50 $. But it is up to you. May be talk to PI Manager if you have one to see what she/he thinks. Also analyze these tenants' probability to stay in your house after their lease expires. 

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

If you drop the rent it sounds like the tenant will leave at the end of the lease anyway.

But I don't like empty IP's. Given that I don't know the area I'll leave it at that.

Good luck.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.