All Topics / General Property / Termite advice please

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Good evening everyone. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs – I'm clicking enter but nothing is happening. I bought a house last year (investment property). The house was built by AVJennings in 1990. I'm assuming a chemical termite barrier was installed at the time (an organochloride one as was the custom back then). My termite inspection report noted that there had been termite activity on the property (in the garden sleepers only – nothing in the house itself). It gave a risk level of "medium" as there was a large tree on the property which had termite activity (which I have since removed). I've recently found out that my neighbour's house has basically been completely destroyed by termites internally. The termite inspector told me I should get some treatment done on my house. Originally I thought he was just looking for more money, until I found out about my neighbour's house. I've got one quote to install a termite barrier – $2000! It's such a small house though (80sqm) so the price seems ridiculous to me. Should I get the treatment done? Should I rely on the termite barrier which I think is there? Since I have removed the tree where the termite experts think the termites were, should I be worried? What would you all do as property investors? Thankyou.

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Hi Alfresco

"I've recently found out that my neighbour's house has basically been completely destroyed by termites internally."

I would be very concerned about where the termite's next meal is coming from. Also removing the tree  may not have removed the queen termite, in which case that colony will be relocating to new accomadation. I would get a second quote, but I would get the barrier upgraded. Tax deductible.

Profile photo of ShellTShellT
    Participant
    @shellt

I would not take the risk.  You have a valuable investment that could get eaten.  You know they are in the area, you know they eat houses, you know that your house is at risk.  You know what you need to do………

Removing the tree only removed a food source.  A building inspector told me that termites can travel upto 50m from their nest to food source.  The nest might be on your neighbors property.  If this is the case there is nothing you can do about removing the nest.

What you can do is reduce the risk of your house being the next food source.

We discovered termites had been eating skirting boards in house – they had not caused any structural damage.  I spent $3000 eradicating existing termites and on a termite barrier around my house 2 years ago in PPOR.  I now have annual inspections to ensure the critters have not come back.  Small price to pay for peace of mind IMO.

As your property is an IP – there are deductions to reduce the hurt to your wallet.

Profile photo of Kara47Kara47
    Participant
    @kara47

$2000  over 52 weeks = $38/ week

What would it cost to replace say one room of the house, or 6 months untenanted while it is being repaired?

Tax deductible too!

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Can I be sure that the termite barrier installed with the original house is no longer effective?

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Another question, for anyone who has done this before, what is the best treatment? I keep hearing Termidor is the best. Would anyone agree or disagree?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.