All Topics / Help Needed! / Moving houses, to rent or sell my existing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of cdhtcdht
    Participant
    @cdht

Hi all, this will be my first post here so please excuse my ignorance. However I have been long stalking the forums for a while now.

The issue is I am currently looking to move from my current house, worth 800k with a mortgage of 250k withstanding and I am looking to move into a 550k house further from the city.

Would it be better at this point to refinance my current home and rent it out? (estimated rental return is 550-600pw)

or better to sell, pay off the mortgage then refinance to invest in another property?

If i didnt sell I think I would have a 700k loan on my hands and not be able to make repayments?

Looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Charles.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

If you're going to rent an 800k property it has to stack up economically. It would need to pull around 55 – 60k/yr (gross yield) for it to even be worth considering. 

If you can't make it work then the choice is obvious.

Prior to leaping into a new property I would consider my future investing options before buying. If you intend to acquire more property and put your capital to work then I suggest you lock onto one of the very able brokers here to get yourself set up correctly in advance.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

You have to treat this transaction like a business and do the numbers. 

Ok so lets look at the second option first. If you sell your current property, factor in all the costs associated with selling your current property and buying another property and then look at the net operating cost. 

Now weigh this up against your current (which is your first option) property which you can rent out for $600 p/w and has a mortgage of $250k. When doing this dont forget to factor in ALL the operating costs. 

From there, the numbers will tell you which is the better option. 

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

There is the tax concern also.

If you are borrowing 550k for your new house and you have 550k equity in the investment property, then you may not be getting the best tax advantage.

There have been numerous threads on this topic also, so recommend you do a search on that topic.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Increasing existing loan to buy the new house won't mean increased deductions as it is private borrowings.

Is the house located in VIC? If so you could possibly sell to your spouse or sell your share to your spouse who could borrow to purchase. Cash released goes into the new home and interest on the loan is deductible. No Stamp duty in VIC and possibly no CGT if it was the former main residence.

You need to do the calculations, get legal advice and tax advice and redo the loans. Would be relatively cheap.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

As Terry mentioned a spousal sale could be an option depending on the location of the property and might prove financial viable especially at a higher marginal Tax rate.

If you are single you would to work out the numbers to see what the break even point is.

Get some quality advice before rushing in and make a decision.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.