All Topics / Finance / DEPOSIT BONDS? What are they?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of samgoudasamgouda
    Participant
    @samgouda

Hi all, 

I am a little confused on a few aspects of what a deposit bond entails. 

Firstly, If i decide to take a deposit bond to buy an off the plan property, and the building company busts, do i get my keep my agreed deposit? Or do i pay it still to the company offering me a deposit bond. 

Your help would be much appreciated people ! 

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi there

A deposit bond basically replaces a cash deposit. If its for a future off the plan purchase then you'll probably need a long term bond which requires you hold a certain amount of equity in residential property. These bonds cost quite a lot – and if you don't proceed with the purchase, I think there's only a certain timeframe that you can cancel the bond and request a refund.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Kara47Kara47
    Participant
    @kara47

I've been looking into them as well, read that if for some reason you can't settle on the property, you lose your deposit. Does this only apply if the Buyer can't settle, or if the owner can't? I'd be really annoyed if I bought, the owner breached the contract of sale in some way & settlement wasn't achieved.

Also, can you pay back the deposit bond from First Home Saver's Account, or can it only go to the bank the mortgage is with?

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has used one & which company they dealt with.

Thanks,

Kara.

Profile photo of smartinvstsmartinvst
    @smartinvst

They're useful when you don't have the physical cash deposit and want to use the equity in your current property to place the deposit.   

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Kara47 wrote:
    I've been looking into them as well, read that if for some reason you can't settle on the property, you lose your deposit. Does this only apply if the Buyer can't settle, or if the owner can't? I'd be really annoyed if I bought, the owner breached the contract of sale in some way & settlement wasn't achieved.

Also, can you pay back the deposit bond from First Home Saver's Account, or can it only go to the bank the mortgage is with?

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has used one & which company they dealt with.

Thanks,

Kara.

Hi Kara

If the seller can't complete the transaction then I can't see why you'd have to forfeit your deposit. If anything, there should be some form of compensation on offer to you – but I'm not a legal person, someone like Terry could anwer that.

The deposit bond temporarily replaces the cash – generally when exchanging on a property. So you'll need to replace the deposit with your own (or borrowed) funds at settlement.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

A deposit bond is simply a guarantee offered by a second party that the seller will receive a deposit on the date contracted. If you die, get run over by a bus or go broke the deposit bond issuer meets your obligation and pays the deposit. It will then seek repayment from you (or estate) at probably quite high interest rates.

If you use them read the fine print carefully.

Issuers will vet your ability to pay the full contract price so you need to be able to prove this adequately.

Terms run from a few months to years.

If the builder goes bust before a deposit is paid get legal advice before handing over anything.

If a builder goes bust after you've paid a deposit builders insurance should protect your purchase but get legal advice anyway.

Google deposit bond issuers. There's plenty out there to give you a good idea of how it all works.

Deposit bonds are an acceptable financial instrument within the construction and building industry. Developers often lack sufficient funds to complete large projects. To obtain funding banks require the developer presell a percentage of units (OTP sales). Because these projects can take several years buyers are often reluctant to have capital for deposits tied up for years at a time. The deposit bond negates this problem by providing an industry acceptable financial document especially where banks are concerned.

Participant
    @kara47

Thanks all,

Looking at using them as I have funds tied up until 1st July.

Cheers,

Kara

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Kara

Do you need a short term or long term bond?

If you need an idea of how much they cost – here's a calculator https://www.depositpower.com.au/publics/guaranteeQuote.aspx

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

DB's on OTP's are expensive and you can only do one.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @kara47

Hello Jamie & Shahin,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm looking at buying an established property, can draw my funds after 1st July to pay the deposit. The way I see it at the moment, the only advantage is I can secure the property before somebody else buys it, & have 6 weeks head start ( settlement time) on if I waited until July.

The owner wants full price at this stage if I delay settlement ( 4 months), so I'm thinking I'll take my chances that it doesn't sell & wait till July.

Another I looked at sat on the market for months & has recently sold, so fingers crossed while I wait.

Main drawcard with this property is it is Light Industrial/ Residential & 200m from main street. I wish to use it for a residence & business.

Cheers,

Kara

Participant
    @jamie-m

No worries.

Sounds like you only need a short term bond.

To qualify for it, you'll need to be able to show them that you've got a loan approval in place.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of samgoudasamgouda
    Participant
    @samgouda

Thank you all for your replies! Have all been great help. 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.