All Topics / Value Adding / OC1’s development – in detail

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

Hi all,

I thought I’d share the details of my recently finished unit development (Dec 2012) with all fellow forum members. You will see below that a development of this size would be financially doable by most investors.

The property (located at Gippsland) was purchased as vacant land in 2011 and had been on the market for quite some time – over 6 months. The selling agent was marketing the site as a 3 unit site. Based on previous developments I knew 4 units would be ok without too much trouble. I made a call to the architect and after a lengthy chat we worked out that 5 two bedroom units would just fit. This was great as there was great demand, especially as rentals, for single story 2 bedroom units.

The block is an oddly shaped one around 980m2. I’ve upload the plans for viewing. I find these odd shaped blocks sometimes give the best results. The block is in an established area, close to schools and the major shopping centre. The block faces south which is ok as you can have all living areas north-facing. This is ideal from a planning point of view. Two units have garages while the other three each have a car-space.

Usually I would sell some and keep some. However, the numbers worked out very well. The idea of owning all units on the block appealed to me too – complete control.

Initial costs

In order to get the planning permits (DA):

Land: $95,000 (yes that’s $95,000)

Stamp duty/legals: $3,000

Town Planning drawings: $11,000

Council Application Fees: $1,600

Bank fees: $600

Survey: $2,000

Total Costs: $113,200

Construction

Total build: $402,000

Working drawings/engineering/soil report/energy report: $9,750

Subdivision (open space levy in Victoria): $5,250

Interest: $15,600

Bank app fee: $2,425

Titles & legals: $1,940

Total Construction cost: $436,965

COMBINED TOTAL (LAND & CONSTRUCTION): $550,165

The end value on all five units combined is around $880,000. That’s a profit margin of 59%.

I have leased all 5 units. Total combined weekly rent: $1,160. Gross rental return on costs is 11%.

Now, I’m a registered builder too (amongst other things), so naturally my construction costs are lower. Those using a builder would add say an 18% builder’s margin on the cost of construction – increasing construction costs by around $75,000. Profit margin 41% and rental return around 9.7%.

This is one of the lower-cost developments I have completed. The total build time was around 5 months. Many builds I undertake (including developments in Melbourne) have this sort of profit margin. I have one beginning around Easter time too. Feel free to ask any questions, I’m more than happy to answer and help out where I can.smiley

Cheers

Oscar

Complete Development Solutionshttp://www.completedevelopment.com.au

Successfully obtaining all permits and subdivisions for your developments

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Your construction cost for 5 units was $402,000 – is that correct?

Also did you have to pay any contribution costs (is that applicable in Vic)? Also what about the site costs like concreting, retinaing walls, fencing, stormwater and sewer drainage?

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

Hi Shahin

Yes construction was $402,000.This included all site costs (very minimal as it was a flat vacant block) and all drainage. Finish is in the standard range. Each unit is around the 65-70m2 mark, two with garages and three without and all were single level.

Contributions are based on land value (around 5%) so this only came to a little over $5,000. Another $3000 to the water authority. I believe you pay an arm and a leg in NSW, Victoria is still ok in that respect.

Cheers

Oscar

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Oscar, this is great stuff! Did you do any hands on work or just manage?

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1
    jmsrachel wrote:
    Oscar, this is great stuff! Did you do any hands on work or just manage?

Hi Joe

I managed the whole process from obtaining plans and permits (DA) through to the subdivision and construction. I helped out the landscape guys at the very end. That was the extent to my "hands-on involvement". laugh

The process was fairly straight forward. Only took about 5 months to build. Having said that I have done this quite a few times and it gets quicker.

Participant
    @jmsrachel

Thanks Oscar. I’m in the process of becoming a registered building practitioner (DBL) and thinking of doing something similar as you and build a couple spec homes. Seeing that I won’t have a DBU would I still be able to build under my DBL and do hands on work? The guys at HIA say that’s fine as long as I own the land. For me to obtain a DBU is a bit of waste as i don’t intend to build for clients, just spec homes.

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1
    jmsrachel wrote:
    Thanks Oscar. I'm in the process of becoming a registered building practitioner (DBL) and thinking of doing something similar as you and build a couple spec homes. Seeing that I won't have a DBU would I still be able to build under my DBL and do hands on work? The guys at HIA say that's fine as long as I own the land. For me to obtain a DBU is a bit of waste as i don't intend to build for clients, just spec homes.

Hi Joe,

There are 3 classifications in Victoria. DBU, DBM and DBL. The first 2 allow you to build, either for yourself or clients. The last (DBL) registers you as a "registered trade". For example, one of my concrete guys i use for my builds is now going for his DBL. If he passes the interview he can do work freely and for anyone. It doesn't, however, allow him to build – not for him self nor any clients. He can build as an owner builder just like anyone else (one every 18 months), the only difference being he can complete all the concrete work. Maybe call the Building Commission (or check out their website) rather than HIA, but as far as i know that is the way it works.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

That works out to be less than $1,500 per sqm turnkey – thats incredible.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @jmsrachel

Hi Oscar,

I contacted the building commission a few weeks ago and they told me that a DBL can build for either clients or yourself as long as you use registered trades.  When i was speaking to HIA they told me yes this is true but if you are building spec homes a building surveyor doesn't check if the trades used are registered (apart from plumbing and electrical), they are more interested if it's built to code.

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1
    jmsrachel wrote:
    Hi Oscar,

I contacted the building commission a few weeks ago and they told me that a DBL can build for either clients or yourself as long as you use registered trades.  When i was speaking to HIA they told me yes this is true but if you are building spec homes a building surveyor doesn't check if the trades used are registered (apart from plumbing and electrical), they are more interested if it's built to code.

I think you mean DBM registration then. Only a DBU or DBM can build. DBL's can only perform the trade they are registered for. Check the link below

http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/resources/documents/Domestic_Builder_Sep_26_051.pdf

Profile photo of DaOneDaOne
    Participant
    @daone

Hi oc1

i am interested in property development and would like to have some one like you as a metro, would you be interested.

DaOne | Oras Finance - Your Local Mortgage Broker
    http://www.ihomeloans.net.au/
    Email Me

Help you make your dreams come true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3KpKX4UsI

Profile photo of DaOneDaOne
    Participant
    @daone

Hi oc1

i am interested in property development and would like to have some one like you as a metro, would you be interested.

DaOne | Oras Finance - Your Local Mortgage Broker
    http://www.ihomeloans.net.au/
    Email Me

Help you make your dreams come true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3KpKX4UsI

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

Hi DaOne, shoot me a PM and i'll see if i can help you.

Cheers

Oscar

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Hi OC

I'd be interested to see how the 5 units were fit on to a 980sqm site!

Do you have the plans online anywhere?

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1
    alfrescodining wrote:
    Hi OC

I'd be interested to see how the 5 units were fit on to a 980sqm site!

Do you have the plans online anywhere?

Here you go. All single level.

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Hi OC

The picture didn't load for me…

Not sure about whether it worked for other people?

Participant
    @jmsrachel

Hi OC

I actually called the building commission today to ask them if you can build a house with a DBL. They said yes you can as long as the trades you hire are registered.   

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

what structure did you do the development in ?  company, trust, personal name ?

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1
    wilko1 wrote:
    what structure did you do the development in ?  company, trust, personal name ?

Hi Wilko

I use a company/trust structure. It works best for me.I find it gives more flexibility. e.g. distribution of profits, CGT discount at times etc

Cheers

Oscar

Profile photo of htschillinghtschilling
    @htschilling

Hi Oc1,

I was wondering if you use a particular spreadsheet/analysis tool to crunch the numbers on potential property development deals, to check if they are viable to purchase?

Or perhaps you may be able to recommend some!

Regards

Hayden

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.